Trace elements in Malaysian medicinal plants
Elemental content of twenty medicinal plants used as tonic and for treatment of diabetes and simusitis were determined by INAA and XRF. Elemental determination was carried out in the raw samples, residues after boiling and the water soluble fractions. Samples were irradiated in TRIGA MkII reactor and counted using HPGe detector coupled to Personal Computer Analyzer (PCA) system. Bowen's Kale, NBS Pine Needles, NBS Citrus Leaves SRM were analysed to check the accuracy of the techniques used. Twenty elements were determined by both NAA and XRF. Arsenic was only detected inLabisia pothoina andDracontomelon dao with a concentrations of 0.40 mg/kg and 0.60 mg/kg respectively. Antimony was found in eleven samples with a concentration of <0.20 mg/kg. Al, Br, Ca, Cl, K, Mn, Na and Rb were detected in all samples whereas Mg and Zn were present in all samples exceptCinnamomum sp. Highest concentration of Br (190 mg/kg), Cl (11805 mg/kg), Co (0.50 mg/kg), Fe (1642 mg/kg), K (36788 mg/kg), Mn (325 mg/kg), Na (126 mg/kg), Rb (197 mg/kg), Sc (0.18 mg/kg) and Zn (3551 mg/kg) were observed in the tuber ofLasia aculeata. Less than 70% and 50% of the elements contained inCallicarpa longifolia andEurycoma longifolia were obtained respectively from water by boiling.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. LATIF, Malaysian Traditional Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.J. ROSE, Trace Elements in Health, Butterworth, London, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.KEH SHAW CHEN, CHIA LIANG TSENG, TE HSIEN LIN, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 170, No. 1 (1993), 265.Google Scholar
- 4.O.A. FAKANKUN, E.A. OLUYEMI, O.A. AKANIE, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 169, No. 2 (1993) 277.Google Scholar
- 5.G.D. KANIAS, E. TSITSA, A. LOUKIS, V. KILI KOGLOU, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 169, No. 2 (1993), 483.Google Scholar
- 6.S. SARMANI, A.K. WOOD, Z. HAMZAH, A.A. MAJID, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 169 (1993) 255.Google Scholar
- 7.J.G WATSON, Malaysian Plant Name, Department Conservator of Forest, Kuala Lumpur, 1927.Google Scholar
- 8.Malaysia Food Act 1983 and Food Regulations 1985, Kuala Lumpur, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.A. AHMAD, M.S. CHAUDHARY, A. MANNAN, I.H. QURESHI, J. Radioanal. Chem., 78, No. 2 (1983) 375.Google Scholar
- 10.E. CORTES TORO, R.M. PARR, S.A. CLEMENTS, Biological and Environmental Reference Materials for Trace Elements, Nuclides and Organic Microcontaminants, IAEA/RL/128 (Rev. 1), Vienna, 1990.Google Scholar