Male lures for mediterranean fruitfly (Ceratitis capitata wied.): Structural analogs of α-copaene
- 103 Downloads
Nine sesquiterpenes structurally related to the potent male Mediterranean fruit fly lure (+)-α-copaene were tested in a series of field bioassays to determine their male medfly attractiveness relative to one another and to (+)-α-copaene itself. This study was carried out to determine the relative importance of the various substructure components of the (+)-α-copaene molecule in eliciting an attractive response in the male fly. Tests indicated that any deviation from the three-dimensional structure of (+)-α-copaene leads to major losses in male fly attractancy. The tested analogs fell into two groups, based on their levels of attraction: (+)-α-ylangene, (+)-β-copaene, (+)-β-ylangene, and (-)-α-copaene were found to be somewhat attractive, although much less so than (+)-α-copaene, while (+)-cyclosativene, (+)-cyclocopacamphene, (+)-longicyclene, (+)-longipinene, and (-)-trans-α-bergamotene were not attractive.
Key WordsAttractants medfly Ceratitis capitata Diptera Tephritidae male lures α-copaene β-copaene α-ylangene β-ylangene cyclosativene cyclocopacamphene longicyclene longipinene trans-α-bergamotene Angelica seed oil Angelica archangelica enantiomers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cunningham, R.T. 1989. Parapheromones, pp. 221–230,in A.S. Robinson and G. Hooper (eds.). Fruit Flies: Their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control, Vol. 3A. Elsevier, New York.Google Scholar
- Fornasiero, U., Guiotto, A., Caporale, G., Baccichetti, F., andMusajo, L. 1969. Identificazione della sostanza attrattiva per i maschi dellaCeratitis capitata, contenunuta nell'olio essenziale dei semi diAngelica archangelica.Gazz. Chim. Ital. 99:700–710.Google Scholar
- Guiotto, A., Fornasiero, U., andBaccichetti, F. 1972. Investigations on attractants for males ofCeratitis capitata.Il Farmaco 27:663–669.Google Scholar
- Piers, E., Geraghty, M.B., Smillie, R.D., andSoucy, M. 1975. Stereoselective total synthesis of copa and ylango sesquiterpenoids: (-)-copacamphene, (-)-cyclocopacamphene, (+)-sativene, (+)-cyclosativene.Can. J. Chem. 53:2849–2864.Google Scholar
- Waller, R.A., andDuncan, D.B. 1969. A Bayes rule for symmetrical multiple comparisons problem.J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 64:1484–1503.Google Scholar