Effects of DIMBOA on several enzymatic systems in Asian corn borer,Ostrinia furnacalis (Guenée)
- 111 Downloads
By using spectrophotometric analysis and isoelectric focusing electrophoresis (IEF), we found inhibition of acetylcholinesterase (AChE), general esterase activity (Est), and lipase activity in larvae of the Asian corn borer (ACB),Ostrinia furnacalis (Guenée), fed on cabbage dipped in DIMBOA (400 ppm). Amylase was not influenced, while activity of cytochrome P-450 monooxygenase and glutathloneS-transferase was increased. The results indicate that DIMBOA influences activity levels of some nervous system and detoxication enzymes and inactivates some hydrolysis enzymes.
Key WordsDIMBOA 2,4-dihydroxy-7-methoxy-(2H)-1,4-benzoxazin-3(4H)-one enzymes Asian corn borer (ACB) Ostrinia furnacalis (Guenée) acetylcholinesterase lipase cytochrome P-450 isoelectric focusing electrophoresis (IEF)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander, R.R., Griffiths, J.M., andWilkinson, M.L. 1985. Pages 10–13,in R.R. Alexander (ed.). Basic Biochemical Methods. John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Bennfeld, P. 1951. Enzymes of starch degradation and synthesis, p. 379,in F.F. Nord (ed.). Advances in Enzymology, Vol. XII. Interscience Publishers, New York.Google Scholar
- Houseman, J.G., Campos, F., Thie, N.M.R., Philogene, B.J.R., Atkinson, J., Norand, P. andArnason, J.T. 1992. Effects of the maize-derived compounds of European corn borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae).J. Econ. Ent. 85:669–874.Google Scholar
- Klun, J.A., Tipton, C.L. andBrindley, T.A. 1967. 2,4-dihydroxy-7-methoxy-1,4-benzoxazin-3-one (DIMBOA), an active agent in the resistance of maize to the European corn borer.J. Econ. Ent. 80:1529–1533.Google Scholar
- Leszczynski, B. andDixon, A.F.G. 1982. Resistance of cereals to aphids: the interaction between hydroxamic acids and glutathioneS-transferases in the grain aphidSitobion avenae (F.) (Hom., Aphididae).J. Appl. Ent. 113:61–67.Google Scholar
- Righetti, P.G. 1983. Isoelectric Focusing Theory, Methodology and Applications. Elsevier Biochemical Press, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Zhou, P., Yang, D., Yan, F., Cheng, G., andLuo, L. 1994. DIMBOA, a nature product, as an antiticholiphensterase agent. Abstract of the 8th International Congress of Pesticide Chemistry, Washington, D.C., July 4–9.Google Scholar