Local balance in queueing networks with positive and negative customers
This paper investigates to what extent a recently developed new product form result for queueing networks with positive and negative customers fits into the class of product form queueing networks that satisfy a notion of partial or local balance. As such, this paper investigates whether this new product form is still a consequence of an appropriate notion of local balance. To this end, a new and non-standard type of local balance is introduced as an extension of standard local balance. This new type of local balance appears more restrictive and is no longer directly sufficient for global balance. Nevertheless, based on this new type of local balance, some extensions such as blocking phenomena for queueing networks with positive and negative customers can be concluded.
KeywordsLocal balance negative customers product form queueing network traffic equations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Baskett, K.M. Chandy, R.R. Muntz and F.G. Palacios, Open, closed and mixed networks of queues with different classes of customers. J.ACM 22 (1975) 248–260.Google Scholar
- R.J. Boucherie and N.M. van Dijk, Spatial birth-death processes with multiple changes and applications to batch service networks and clustering processes, Adv. Appl. Prob. 22 (1990) 433–455.Google Scholar
- R.J. Boucherie and N.M. van Dijk, Product forms for queueing networks with state dependent multiple job transitions, Adv. Appl. Prob. 23 (1991) 152–187.Google Scholar
- E. Gelenbe, Random neural networks with negative and positive signals and product form solution, Neural Comp. 1 (1989) 502–510.Google Scholar
- E. Gelenbe, Product form queueing networks with negative and positive customers, J. Appl. Prob. 28 (1991) 656–663.Google Scholar
- W. Henderson, B.S. Northcote and P.G. Taylor, Geometric equilibrium distributions for queues with interactive batch departures, Ann. Oper. Res. 48 (1993), this volume.Google Scholar
- W. Henderson, C.E.M. Pearce, P.G. Taylor and N.M. van Dijk, Closed queueing networks with batch services, Queueing Syst. 6 (1990) 59–70.Google Scholar
- A. Hordijk and N.M. van Dijk,Networks of Queues, Part I: Job-local-balance and the adjoint process; Part II: General routing and service characteristics, Lecture Notes in Control and Informational Sciences, vol. 60 (Springer, 1983) pp. 158–205.Google Scholar
- J.R. Jackson, Jobshop-like queueing systems, Manag. Sci. 10 (1963) 131–142.Google Scholar
- F.P. Kelly,Reversibility and Stochastic Networks (Wiley, 1975).Google Scholar
- R.F. Serfozo, Markovian network processes: congestion dependent routing and processing, Queueing Syst. 5 (1989) 5–36.Google Scholar
- P. Whittle,Systems in Stochastic Equilibrium (Wiley, 1986).Google Scholar