A fast LU update for linear programming
- 330 Downloads
This paper discusses sparse matrix kernels of simplex-based linear programming software. State-of-the-art implementations of the simplex method maintain an LU factorization of the basis matrix which is updated at each iteration. The LU factorization is used to solve two sparse sets of linear equations at each iteration. We present new implementation techniques for a modified Forrest-Tomlin LU update which reduce the time complexity of the update and the solution of the associated sparse linear systems. We present numerical results on Netlib and other real-life LP models.
KeywordsLinear System Linear Equation Time Complexity Programming Software Simplex Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Bartels and G. Golub, The simplex method of linear programming using LU decomposition, Commun. ACM 12(1969)266–268.Google Scholar
- M. Benichou, J.N. Gauthier, G. Hentges and G. Ribière, The efficient solution of large scale linear programming problems. Some algorithmic techniques and computational results, Math. Progr. 13(1977)280–322.Google Scholar
- R.K. Brayton, F.G. Gustavson and R.A. Willoughby, Some results on sparse matrices, Math. Comp. 24(1970)937–954.Google Scholar
- I.S. Duff, A.M. Erisman and J.K. Reid,Direct Methods for Sparse Matrices (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1986).Google Scholar
- J. Forrest and J. Tomlin, Updating the triangular factors of the basis to maintain sparsity in the product form simplex method, Math. Progr. 2(1972)263–278.Google Scholar
- IBM, Introducing the Optimization Subroutine Library Release 2, Publication No. GC23-0517-03.Google Scholar
- R. Fourer, Solving staircase linear programming problems by the simplex method, 1: Inversion, Math. Progr. 23(1982)274–313.Google Scholar
- J.K. Reid, A sparsity exploiting variant of the Bartels-Golub decomposition for linear programming bases, Math. Progr. 24(1982)55–69.Google Scholar
- U. Suhl, MOPS — Mathematical OPtimization System, Institut für Wirtschaftsinformatik, FU-Berlin (1992), to appear in Eur. J. Oper. Res., Software Tools for Mathematical Programming.Google Scholar
- J.A. Tomlin, An accuracy test for updating triangular factors, Math. Progr. Study 4(1975)142–145.Google Scholar
- U. Suhl and L. Suhl, Computing sparse LU-factorizations for large-scale linear programming bases, ORSA J. Comput. 2(1990)325–335.Google Scholar