The increasing role of international cooperation in science and technology research in Mexico
- 128 Downloads
Increasing importance is being given to international scientific activities, especially with regard to developing countries. In the present paper, an analysis is made of the studies published by Mexican institutions in coauthorship with foreign colleagues between 1980 and 1990, as registered in mainstream journals. Different characteristics of the collaboration are described, such as research areas, countries and institutions involved, of interest to Mexican policy makers and scientists, as well as to foreign governments and international organizations sponsoring cooperative agreements with Mexico.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. D. Frame, M. P. Carpenter, International research collaboration,Social Studies of Science, 9 (1979) 481–497.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Leclerc, Y. Okubo, L. Frigoletto, J. F. Miquel, Scientific co-operation between Canada and the European Community,Science and Public Policy, 19 (1992) 15–24.Google Scholar
- 4.H. F. Moed, R. E. De Bruin, A. J. Nederhof, R. J. W. Tijssen, International scientific co-operation and awareness within the European Community: Problems and perspectives,Scientometrics, 21 (1991) 291–311.Google Scholar
- 5.J. M. Russell, N. Narvaez-Berthelemot, Use of the bibliometrical method to determine the scientific activity of Latin America: The case of international co-operation,International Journal of Information and Library Research, 4 (1992) 127–137.Google Scholar
- 6.J. O. Alonso-Gamboa, Catálogo de instituciones registradas en la base de datos Bibliografia Latinoamericana (Biblat, Clase y Periódica). 2ä versión. Centro de Información Científica y Humanística, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México, DF, 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Noma, Subject Classification and Influence Weights for 3,000 journals, CHI Research/Computer Horizons, Inc., Cherry Hill, New Jersey, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Journal Citation Reports, A Bibliometric Analysis of Science Journals in the ISI Database. 1990 Science Citation Index. Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, 1991 [Microfiche Card 2].Google Scholar
- 10.A. Schubert, T. Braun, International collaboration in the sciences, 1981–1985,Scientometrics, 19 (1990) 3–10.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Narvaez-Berthelemot, L. P. Frigoletto, J. F. Miquel, International scientific collaboration in Latin America,Scientometrics, 24 (1992) 373–392.Google Scholar
- 12.See notes and comments.Google Scholar
- 14.C. Kessler, International Scientific Co-operation. Consolidated Report of Activities 1986–1990 EC-Mexico, Commission of the European Communities, Scientific and Technical Communications Unit, Directorate-General Telecommunications, Information Industries and Innovation. Publication no. EUR 13970 EN, Brussels, 1992.Google Scholar
- 17.N. Narvaez-Berthelemot, M. Almada de Ascencio, J. M. Russell, International scientific collaboration: cooperation between Latin America and Spain, as seen from different databases,Journal of Information Science, 19 (1993) 389–394.Google Scholar