In vitro andin vivo comparison of creams containing dithranol 0.5%
- 31 Downloads
In anin vitro model, the release and penetration through a silicon membrane of different cream formulations and ointments containing 0.5% dithranol were studied. The results indicated that the method is not suitable for predictingin vivo release and penetration. Experiments with rabbits showed that the degree of skin irritation produced by a hospital-prepared product containing 0.5% dithranol was comparable to that of a commercial product. Clinical efficacy and side-effects of these two products were investigated in a double-blind left-right comparative study in 35 patients with chronic plaque psoriasis. The two creams proved to be equally effective and showed the same incidence of side-effects.
KeywordsClinical trials Creams Dithranol Drug evaluation Drug release Irritation tests Penetration Psoriasis Side effects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Green PG, Kennedy CTC, Forbes DR. Anthralin stability in various vehicles. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987;16:984–8.Google Scholar
- 2.Shah VP, Elkins J, Lam S-Y, Skelly JP. Determination ofin vitro drug release from hydrocortisone creams. Int J Pharm 1989;53:53–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Martin B, Watts O, Shroot B, Jamoulle JC. A new diffusion cell — an automated method for measuring the pharmaceutical availability of topical dosage forms. Proceed Intern Symp Control Rel Bioact Mater 1988;15:374–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Seville RH. Dithranol-based therapies. In: Mier PD, Van der Kerkhof PCM, eds. Textbook of psoriasis. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1986:178–89.Google Scholar
- 5.Fredriksson T, Petersson U. Severe psoriasis — oral therapy with a new retinoid. Dermatologica 1978;157: 238–44.Google Scholar
- 6.De Hoop D, Van Andel P, De Kort WJA. Psoriasis(dag)behandeling [Psoriasis (day) treatment]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1989;133:785–7.Google Scholar
- 7.De Hoop D, Van Andel P, De Kort WJA, Heinhuis J, Van Vloten WA, De Korte J. Behandeling van psoriasis in een dagbehandelingscentrum [Treatment of psoriasis in a day care centre]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1990;134:1220–3.Google Scholar