Direct high pressure liquid chromatographic analysis and preliminary pharmacokinetics of enantiomers of oxazepam and temazepam with their corresponding glucuronide conjugates
- 47 Downloads
Three high pressure liquid chromatographic systems for the separation of oxazepam, temazepam and their glucuronides (system A), the separation of theirR,S glucuronide diastereomers (system B) and the chiral separation of the parent drugs (system C) are described. Preliminary pharmacokinetics ofR,S-oxazepam andR,S-temazepam in a human volunteer reveal that the protein binding of the glucuronides is lower than that of the parent drugs, but that there is no difference in protein binding between theR-oxazepam/temazepam andS-oxazepam/temazepam and their corresponding glucuronides. TheS-glucuronide is the main metabolite formed and excreted by man. The plasma ratioR/S-glucuronide is 1∶1 for both oxazepam and temazepam. The renal clearances ofR-temazepam, andS-temazepam are similar, and those ofR-oxazepam andS-oxazepam tend to be different.
KeywordsChromatography, high pressure liquid Enantiomers Glucuronates Oxazepam Pharmacokinetics Protein binding Temazepam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Möhler H, Richards JC. Benzodiazepine receptors in the central nervous system. In: Costa E, ed. The benzodiazepines. From molecular biology to clinical practice. New York: Raven Press, 1983:93–116.Google Scholar
- 5.Fell AF, Noctor TAG, Mama JE, Clark BJ. Computer-aided optimisation of drug enantiomer separation in chiral high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr Biomed Appl 1988;434:377–84.Google Scholar
- 7.Vree TB, Beneken Kolmer EWJ, Martea M, Bosch R, Hekster YA, Shimoda M. Pharmacokinetics, N1-glucuronidation and N4-acetylation of sulfadimethoxine in man. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1990;12:51–9.Google Scholar
- 9.Vree TB, Beneken Kolmer EWJ, Hekster YA. High pressure liquid chromatographic analysis and preliminary pharmacokinetics of sulfaphenazole and its N2-glucuronide and N4-acetyl metabolites in plasma and urine of man. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1990;12;243–7.Google Scholar
- 11.Vree TB, Martea M, Lewin LM. High performance liquid chromatography of sulfapyridine and its acetyl and glucuronide metabolites in the urine of rat and man. J Chromatogr Biomed Appl 1990;18:214–22.Google Scholar
- 14.Anonymous. SAS user's guide. Basics 1982 edition. Cary: SAS Institute, 1982.Google Scholar
- 16.Seideman P, Ericsson O, Groningsson K, Von Bahr C. Effect of pentobarbital on the formation of diastereoisomeric oxazepam glucuronides in man: analysis by high performance liquid chromatography. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol 1981;49:200–4.Google Scholar