Do prescribed drugs always follow the patients to hospital?
- 24 Downloads
The reliability was measured with which out-patient medications were identified at the time of a patient's admission to a Dutch hospital. The hospital-pharmacy records and the community-pharmacy records of 205 patients have been reviewed with the help of an expert panel. We established that 15 inadvertent drug discontinuations of a serious nature occurred among 12 patients. While the results are not necessarily representative of the overall Dutch situation, they indicate errors that can be reduced. Improvement is suggested by transmission of computerized data from the community pharmacy to the hospital whenever a patient is admitted and agrees with this transmission.
KeywordsData display Drug therapy Hospitals Patient admission Pharmacies, community
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Price D, Cooke J, Singleton S, Feely M. Doctors' unawareness of the drugs their patients are taking: a major cause of overprescribing? Br Med J 1986;292:99–100.Google Scholar
- 5.Gilchrist WJ, Lee YC, Tam HC, Macdonald JB, Williams BO. Prospective study of drug reporting of general practitioners for an elderly population referred to a geriatric service. Br Med J 1987;294:289–90.Google Scholar
- 7.Claoue C, Elkington AR. Informing the hospital of patients' drug regimens. Br Med J 1986;292:101.Google Scholar
- 13.De Smet PAGM, Leufkens HGM. ATC-klassificaties en DDD-waarden [ATC classifications and DDD values]. In: De Smet PAGM, Van Loenen AJ, Van der Does E, eds. Informatorium Medicamentorum 1987; deel III. Alphen a/d Rijn: Samsom Stafleu, 1987:300–32.Google Scholar
- 15.Dolmans JMEV, Mertens PB. Geneesmiddelenpaspoort-gebruik en toelichting [Drug pasport — use and explanation]. Pharm Weekbl 1979;114:1157–64.Google Scholar
- 16.Jenkinson S. Medical credit cards. Br Med J 1989;299:472.Google Scholar
- 17.Stoffels MJC. De ‘smart card’ in de gezondheidszorg [The ‘smart card’ in health care]. Med Contact 1988;43:405–7.Google Scholar
- 18.Van Gruting CWD, De Gier JJ. Medicatiebegeleiding [Medication support]. Pharm Weekbl 1987;122:1057–65.Google Scholar