Effect of salai guggal ex-Boswellia serrata on cellular and humoral immune responses and leucocyte migration
- 50 Downloads
Effect of alcoholic extract of salai guggal (AESG) was studied on cellular and humoral immune responses in mice and leucocyte migration in rats. Oral administration of AESG strongly inhibited the antibody production and cellular responses to sheep red blood cells in mice. It inhibited the infiltration of polymorphonuclear leucocytes and reduced the volume of pleural exudate in carrageenan induced pleurisy in rats. It showed no cytotoxic effect.
KeywordsImmune Response Blood Cell Oral Administration Cytotoxic Effect Cellular Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. S. Pardhy and S. C. Bhattacharyya,Boswellic acid, acetyl boswellic acid and 11-keto-boswellic acid, four pentacyclic triterpene acids from the resin of Boswellia serrata Roxb., Ind. J. Chem.16B, 176–178 (1978).Google Scholar
- J. H. Brown, J. L. Taylor and S. H. Pollock,Effect of duration of administration of cyclophosphamide and steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on the severity of polyarthritis, Arch. Int. Pharmacocyn.194, 381–386 (1971).Google Scholar
- D. S. Nelson and P. Mildenhall,Studies on cytophillic antibodies. I. The production by mice of macrophage cytophilic antibodies to sheep erythrocytes: Relationship to the production of other antibodies and the development of delayed type hypersensitivity, Aust. J. expt. Biol. med. Sci.45, 113–130 (1967).Google Scholar
- S. C. R. Meacock and E. A. Kitchen,Effects of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, benoxaprofen on leucocyte migration, J. Pharm. Pharmac.31, 366–370 (1979).Google Scholar
- M. E. Rosenthale, A. A. Santilli, A. C. Scotese, S. C. Bell and B. A. Rubin,Immunopharmacological properties of 1, 6-Bis 2-(diethylamino) ethoxy xanthen-9-one dihydrochloride (Wy-15297), J. Immunopharmac.2, 257–277 (1980).Google Scholar
- A. Blackham, R. T. Owen,Prostaglandin synthetase inhibitors and leucocytic emigration, J. Pharm. Pharmac.27, 201–202 (1975).Google Scholar
- S. Sell,Arthus (toxic complex) reaction. InImmunology, Immunophatology and Immunity. 3rd Edn., pp. 242–283, Harper & Raw Publishers, Inc. Maryland, USA 1980.Google Scholar
- S. M. Philips and B. Z. Weiman, J. Exp. Med.137, 1494–1510 (1973); Cited inComprehensive Immunology, Vol. 3. (Eds. R. A. Good and S. B. Day),Immunopharmacology (Eds. R. A. Good and S. B. Day),Immunopharmacology (Eds. J. W. Haddan, R. G. Coffey and F. Spreafico pp. 227–244, Plenum Medical Book Co., New York 1977.PubMedGoogle Scholar