The effect of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, on the production of procollagenase by human synovial and skin fibroblastsin vitro
- 26 Downloads
The ability of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, to stimulate procollagenase production by human synovial and skin fibroblasts was examined in anin vitro assay system. Stanozolol is used therapeutically to treat a variety of connective tissue and vascular disorders and its clinical effects suggest that it can modulate connective tissue breakdown. The results showed that stanozolol was capable in a dose dependent manner, of significantly stimulating procollagenase production by skin fibroblasts. However, in three synovial fibroblast lines no evidence was found of increased collagenase production following treatment with stanozolol; although the synovial fibroblasts secreted significantly increased amounts of procollagenase in response to IL-1. These results may shed some light on the mechanism of actionin vivo of stanozolol in the treatment of connective tissue disorders.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. E. Preston,The effect of stanozolol on the fibrinolytic enzyme system in normal adults. Scott. Med. J.,Suppl. 59–63 (1981).Google Scholar
- J. N. Beresford, J. A. Gallagher J. Poser, M. Gowen, M. Couch, A. J. P. Yates, J. A. Kanis and R. G. G. Russell,Effects of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, on human bone cells in vitro. Calcified Tissue Int.35, Suppl. A25 (1983).Google Scholar
- J. A. Gallagher, J. N. Beresford, M. K. B. McGuire, N. M. Ebsworth, J. E. Meats, M. Gowan, P. Elford, D. Wright, J. Poser, L. A. Coulton, M. Sharrard, B. Imbimbo and R. G. G. Russell,Effects of glucocorticoids and anabolic steroids on cells derived from human skeletal and articular tissues in vitro. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol.171, 279–291 (1984).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- P. R. Elford, J. E. Meats and R. G. G. Russell,Effect of glucocorticosteroids, stanozolol and sex hormones on production of plasminogen activator by human articular chondrocytes. Calcified Tiss. Int.35, Suppl. A25 (1983).Google Scholar
- M. I. V. Jayson, A. L. Keegan, C. D. Holland, J. Longstaff, L. Taylor and R. Gush,A study of stanozolol therapy for systemic sclerosis and Raynaud's Phenomenon. Haemostasis14, 53a (1984).Google Scholar