Comparative in vitro activity of biapenem, a new carbapenem antibiotic
- 55 Downloads
Biapenem is a new carbapenem antibiotic with high stability to human renal dehydropeptidase I. Its in vitro activity was compared with that of imipenem, meropenem, ceftazidime, ceftriaxone, piperacillin and gentamicin against a total of 650 recent clinical isolates. MICs were determined by a standard agar dilution procedure and all isolates were tested at two inocula (104 and 106 cfu). Biapenem inhibited 90 % of isolates ofEscherichia coli, Klebsiella spp.,Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Morganella morganii, Providencia stuartii, Enterobacter spp.,Citrobacter freundii, Serratia marcescens, Salmonella typhi, Shigella sonnei andYersinia enterocolitica at ≤ 2 mg/l and was as active as or two- to four-fold more active than imipenem against all these species, with the exception ofSerratia marcescens, against which imipenem was two-fold more active. Biapenem was two-fold more active than imipenem againstPseudomonas aeruginosa (MIC90 4 mg/l) and had activity similar to that of imipenem against theBacteroides fragilis group (MIC90 0.5 mg/l) but was two-fold less active than imipenem against methicillin-susceptibleStaphylococcus aureus (MIC90 0.06 mg/l) and was, like imipenem, inactive against methicillin-resistantStaphylococcus aureus.
KeywordsGentamicin Clinical Isolate Ceftriaxone Ceftazidime Imipenem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ubukata K, Hikida M, Yoshida M, Nishiki K, Furukawa Y, Tashiro K, Konno M, Mitsuhashi S In vitro activity of LJC 10,627, a new carbapenem antibiotic with high stability to dehydropeptidase-I. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1990, 34: 994–1000.Google Scholar
- 2.Neu HC, Gu JW, Fang W, Chin NX In vitro activity and β-lactamase stability of LJC 10,627. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1992, 36: 1418–1423.Google Scholar
- 3.Catchpole CR, Wise R, Thornber D, Andrews JM In vitro activity of L-627, a new carbapenem. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1992, 36: 1928–1934.Google Scholar
- 4.Clarke AM, Zemcov SJV In vitro activity of meropenem against clinical isolates obtained in Canada. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1989, 24, Supplement A: 47–55.Google Scholar
- 5.Livermore DM Carbapenemases. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1992, 29: 609–616.Google Scholar
- 6.Hikida M, Kawashima K, Yoshida M, Mitsuhashi S Inactivation of new carbapenem antibiotics by dehydropeptidase-I from porcine and human renal cortex. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1992, 30: 129–134.Google Scholar