Non-occurrence ofMycoplasma genitalium in clinical specimens
- 33 Downloads
Five hundred and thirteen clinical specimens, mainly from patients with urogenital inflammations, were examined forUreaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasmas, including cultures forMycoplasma genitalium. The study yielded 95 isolates ofUreaplasma urealyticum, 37 isolates ofMycoplasma hominis and two isolates ofMycoplasma fermentans, but no growth ofMycoplasma genitalium was obtained. It was concluded thatMycoplasma genitalium is a relatively rare inhabitant of the human urogenital tract in Israel.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Clinical Specimen Urogenital Tract Human Urogenital Tract Urogenital Inflammation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tully, J. G., Taylor-Robinson, D., Cole, R. M., Rose, D. L. A newly discovered mycoplasma in the human urogenital tract. Lancet 1981, i: 1288–1291.Google Scholar
- 2.Taylor-Robinson, D., Tully, J. G., Furr, P. M., Cole, R. M., Rose, D. L., Hanna, N. F. Urogenital mycoplasma infections of man: a review with observations on a recently discovered mycoplasma. Israel Journal of Medical Sciences 1981, 17: 524–530.Google Scholar
- 3.Tully, J. G., Taylor-Robinson, D., Rose, D. L., Cole, R. M., Bove, J. M. Mycoplasma genitalium, a new species from the human urogenital tract. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 1983, 33: 387–396.Google Scholar
- 4.McCutchan, J. A. Epidemiology of venereal urethritis: comparison of gonorrhea and non-gonococcal urethritis. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1984, 6: 669–688.Google Scholar
- 5.Taylor-Robinson, D. Mycoplasma infections of the human urogenital tract with particular reference to non-gonococcal urethritis. Annales de l'Institut Pasteur, Microbiologie 1984, 135A: 129–134.Google Scholar
- 6.Tully, J.G., Whitcomb, R.F., Clark, H.F. Pathogenic mycoplasmas: cultivation and vertebrate pathogenicity of new spiroplasma. Science 1977, 195: 892–895.Google Scholar
- 7.Shepard, M.C., Linceford, C.D. Differential agar medium (A7) for identification ofUreaplasma urealyticum (human T mycoplasmas) in primary cultures of clinical material. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1976, 3: 613–625.Google Scholar
- 8.Shepard, M.C., Combs, R.S. Enhancement ofUreaplasma urealyticum (human T mycoplasmas) in primary cultures of clinical material. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1979, 10: 931–933.Google Scholar
- 9.Braun, P., Klein, J.O., Lee, Y.H., Kass, E.H. Methodologic investigations and prevalence of genital mycoplasmas in pregnancy. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1970, 121: 391–400.Google Scholar