Comparative in vitro activity of cefdinir (CI-983; FK-482) against staphylococci, gram-negative bacilli and respiratory tract pathogens
- 44 Downloads
The in vitro activity of cefdinir (CI-983; FK-482), a new oral cephalosporin, was compared with that of other antimicrobial agents against clinical isolates of staphylocci, gram-negative bacilli and common respiratory tract pathogens. Cefdinir (MIC90 ≤ 2.0 µg/ml) was more active than cefixime (MIC90 >64 µg/ml) and equally as active as cefuroxime (MIC90 2.0 µg/ml) against oxacillin-susceptible staphylococci. Cefdinir was active againstHaemophilus influenzae, including β-lactamase producers (MIC90 0.5 µg/ml),Moraxella catarrhalis (MIC90 ≤ 0.12 µg/ml),Streptococcus pneumoniae (MIC90 ≤ 0.06 µg/ml) andStreptococcus pyogenes (MIC90 ≤ 0.06 µg/ml). The activity of cefdinir against gram-negative bacilli was variable; organisms with chromosomal cephalosporinases were often resistant.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Respiratory Tract Antimicrobial Agent Cephalosporin Clinical Isolate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards: Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically. Approved Standard M7-A2. NCCLS, Villanova, PA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Inamoto Y, Chiba T, Kamimura T, Takaya T: FK482, a new orally active cephalosporin. Synthesis and biological properties. Journal of Antibiotics 1988, 41: 828–830.Google Scholar
- 3.Sakamoto H, Hirose T, Nakamoto S, Hatano K, Shibayama F, Kikuchi H, Mine Y: Pharmacokinetics of FK482, a new orally active cephalosporin, in animals. Journal of Antibiotics 1988, 41: 1896–1905.Google Scholar
- 4.Mine Y, Kamimura T, Watanabe Y, Tawara S, Matsumoto Y, Shibayama F, Kikuchi H, Takaya T: In vitro antibacterial activity of FK482, a new orally active cephalosporin. Journal of Antibiotics 1988, 41: 1873–1889.Google Scholar
- 5.Neu HC, Saha G, Chin NX: Comparative in vitro activity and β-lactamase stability of FK482, a new oral cephalosporin. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1989, 33: 1795–1800.Google Scholar
- 6.Briggs BM, Jones RN, Gruin ME, Barrett MS, Johnson DM: In vitro activity evaluations of cefdinir (FK482, CI-983 and PD134393): a novel orally administered cephalosporin. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 1991, 14: 425–434.Google Scholar
- 7.Wise R, Andrews JM, Thornber D: The in vitro activity of cefdinir (FK482), a new oral cephalosporin. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1991, 28: 239–248.Google Scholar