An interpretation of theMariner 10 pictures shows that volcanic plains are largely developed on Mercury, and old and young lava covers can be distinguished occupying no less than 15% of the photographed surface of this planet. Ten and a half volcanic features attributable tovolcanic domes are visible on the pictures, the largest of which being situated at the centre ofOdin Planitia and having a diameter of 7 km and a height of about 1.4 km. The domes have been mapped on a geologic-morphologic map of Mercury (Katterfeld, 1975).
The study of newly processed photographs of Mercury and of stereopair pictures of its volcanic «maria» has led to the discovery of a huge volcano at the centre of «Martis Mare» with 110 km long diameter and a double top caldera, the diameters of the external and internal crater being 60 and 40 km respectively. The coordinates of this volcano are 21°S and 124°W.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antoniadi, E.M., 1934,La planète Mercure. Gauthier-Villars, Paris.Google Scholar
- Camichel, H., andDollfus, Au., 1968,La rotation et la cartographie de la planète Mercure. Icarus,8, no. 2.Google Scholar
- Cruikshank, D.P., andChapman, C.R., 1967,Mercury's Rotation and Visual Observations. Sky and Telescope,34, no. 1, p. 24–26.Google Scholar
- Dollfus, Au., Chapman, C.R. et al., 1978,IAU Nomenclature for Albedo Features on the Planet Mercury. Icarus,34, no. 1, p. 210–214 with 1 illustr.Google Scholar
- Katterfeld, G.N., 1970,Topography and Nomenclature of Mercury. Vestnik, Leningrad University, no. 12–2, p. 138–148 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- ——, 1975,Geo-morphologic Map of Mercury at the Scale 1: 4 000 000. Problems of Plenetology, 1977,2, p. 56/57, Leningrad-Yerevan (in Russian).Google Scholar
- ——, andCharushin, G.V., 1973,General Grid Systems of Planets. Modern Geology,4, no. 4, p. 253–287. See also theAlbedo Map of Mercury, p. 282, New York-London-Paris.Google Scholar
- Lowell, P., 1896–97,Popular Astronomy. 4, 360 pp., 32 pl.Google Scholar
- Schiapparelli, G.V., 1889,Sulla rotatione di Mercurio. Astronomische Nachrichten,123, no. 2944, col. 241–250, plus planispherio di Mercurio.Google Scholar
- Tectonics and Volcanism of Planets, 1977, Proc. Intern. Ass. Planet. Symp.,8, Yerevan, Armenia, 16–22 Nov. 1977 —Problems of Planetology, 2, Yerevan, 1977.Google Scholar