Colorimetric determination of thioxanthenes with tetracyanoethylene
- 22 Downloads
A simple and rapid colorimetric method for the quantitative determination of the thioxanthene derivatives, chlorprothixene, tiotixene and metixene has been performed either in their pure form or in tablets. The procedure is based upon the formation of charge transfer complexes with the π-acceptor tetracyanoethylene. The spectra of the complex show maxima at 415, 410 and 390 nm with a high apparent molar absorptivity which facilitates the determination of 5–100 μg·ml−1 of the studied compounds. The mean recoveries are 100.1± 1.4%, 99.8±0.8% and 100.2±1.1% for chlorprothixene, tiotixene and metixene, respectively. This procedure is applied to determine these drugs in certain formulations and the results compare favourably to compendial methods.
Key wordsAnalysis, quantitative Chlorprothixene Colorimetry Metixene Tiotixene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Foye WO. Principles of Medicinal Chemistry. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1976:218.Google Scholar
- 2.Clarke ECG. Isolation and Identification of Drugs. Part I. London: The Pharmaceutical Press, 1978:258, 414, 574.Google Scholar
- 3.Jose D. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of amitriptyline and navan. Rev Argent Farm 1972:114(3–4):42–5.Google Scholar
- 4.The United States Pharmacopeia xx, National Formulary xv. USP Convention, Inc., 1980:144,796.Google Scholar
- 5.Fedir J, Jiri K. Determination ofcis-2-chloro-9-(3-dimethylaminopropylidene)thioxanthene (chlorprothixene). Czech. 184,149 (Cl. GOIN 27/480) 15 Jul. 1980, Appl. 76/1, 661, 15 Mar. 1976; 2 pp. (C.A. 1981;94: 162839y).Google Scholar
- 9.Seija T. Determination of several thioxanthene derivatives as picrates. Acta Pharm Fenn 1978;87:195–204.Google Scholar
- 10.Seija T. Determination of chlorprothixene as its reineckate by atomic absorption spectrometry. Acta Pharm Fenn 1979;88:25–30.Google Scholar
- 11.Auterhoff H, Kuehn J. Analysis of tricyclic psychotropics. Arch Pharm 1973;306:241–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Rizk M, Walash MI, Ibrahim F. Spectrophotometric determination of piperazine, piperazine. salts and diethylcarbamazine citrate with chloranilic acid. Spectroscopy Lett 1984;17:423–40.Google Scholar
- 21.Hinchen JD. Practical statistics for chemical research London: Methuen, 1969.Google Scholar