A Japanese family of X-linked auto-immune enteropathy with haemolytic anaemia and polyendocrinopathy
Three cases of X-linked auto-immune enteropathy with haemolytic anaemia and polyendocrinopathy are described from one related Japanese kindred. Two boys had died due to severe diarrhoea accompanied by total or subtotal intestinal villous atrophy.In contrast, although one patient showed the same symptoms and had circulating IgG antibodies against enterocytes, his condition improved dramatically and he developed well following the use of cyclosporin A (CSA). CSA may be beneficial in patients with this rare disorder. Auto-immune enteropathy should be considered as a cause of protracted diarrhoea with unknown aetiology.
Key wordsX-linked auto-immune enteropathy Haemo lytic anaemia Polyendocrinopathy Cyclosporin A
auto-immune haemolytic anaemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Colletti RB, Guillot AP, Rosen S, et al. (1991) Autoimmune enteropathy and nephropathy with circulating anti-epithelial cell antibodies. J Pediatr 118:858–864Google Scholar
- 2.Feigin RD, Stoller ML (1987) Disorders caused by a variety of infectious agents 11.8 Diarrhea In: Behrman RE, Vaughan VC (eds) Nelson text book of pediatrics. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 553–555Google Scholar
- 3.Hill SM, Milla PJ, Bottazzo GF, Mirakian R (1991) Autoimmune enteropathy and colitis: is there a generalized autoimmune gut disorder? Gut 32:36–42Google Scholar
- 4.Mirakian R, Richardson A, Milla PJ, Walker-Smith JA, Ursworth J, Savage MO, Bottazzo GF (1986) Protracted diarrhea: evidence in support of an autoimmune variant. BMJ 293:1132–1136Google Scholar
- 5.Mirakian R, Hill S, Richardson A, Milla PJ, Walker-Smith JA, Bottazzo GF (1988) HLA product expression and lymphocyte subpopulation in jejunum biopsies of children with idiopathic protracted diarrhea and enterocyte autoantibodies. J Autoimmun 1:263–277Google Scholar
- 6.Oates JA, Wood AJJ (1989) Cyclosporine. N Engl J Med 321:1725–1738Google Scholar
- 7.Powell BR, Buist NRM, Stenzel P (1982) An X-linked syndrome of diarrhea, polyendocrinopathy, and fatal infection in infancy. J Pediatr 100:731–737Google Scholar
- 8.Seidman EG, Lacaille F, Russo P, Galeano N, Murphy G, Roy CC (1990) Successful treatment of autoimmune enteropathy with cyclosporine. J Pediatr 117:929–932Google Scholar
- 9.Shigeoka AO, Araneo BA, Carey JC, Rallison ML (1991) An X-linked T-cell activation syndrome: immunologic evaluation and response to cyclosphorin A therapy in one affected infant. Pediatr Res 29:163AGoogle Scholar