Acute obstructive uropathy —a rare complication of circumcision
- 40 Downloads
We report a rare complication of of ritual circumcision in an 8-week-old boy. He presented 1 week after the procedure with reduced urine output, a grossly distended bladder and marked bilateral hydroureteronephrosis on ultrasonography. The acute partial urinary obstruction was due to the dressing which was applied after surgical removal of the foreskin and to oedema of the glans. He had abnormal renal function (creatinine 85 μmol/l, urea 8.5 mmol/l) and a hyperkalaemic metabolic acidosis with hyponatraemia (Na 127 mmol/l, K 6.9 mmol/l, HCO3 16 mmol/l), which were attributed to obstructive uropathy. Because of prolonged secondary bladder dysfunction he required urinary catheterisation for 1 week. There was significant post obstructive diuresis and parenteral fluid therapy was given for 7 days. Whilst urinary retention is a well recognised complication of circumcision, this is the first report of significant obstructive uropathy and renal impairment due to surgical excision of the foreskin.
Key wordsCircumcision Urinary retention Acute renal failure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Berman W (1975) Urinary retention due to ritual circumcision. Pediatrics 56:621Google Scholar
- 3.Connelly KP, Shropshire LC, Salzberg A (1992) Gastric rupture associated with prolonged crying in a newborn undergoing circumcision. Clin Pediatr 31:560–561Google Scholar
- 4.Frand M, Berant N, Brand N, Rotem Y (1974) Complication of ritual circumcision in Israel. Pediatrics 54:521Google Scholar
- 7.Horowitz J, Schussheim A, Scalettar J (1976) Abdominal distension following ritual circumcision. Pediatrics 57:579Google Scholar
- 8.Hsu CH (1990) Fluid and electrolyte abnormalities in obstructive uropathy and following urinary tract diversion. In: Kokko JP, Tannen RL (eds) Fluids and electrolytes, 2nd edn. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 781–812Google Scholar
- 12.Robson WLM, Leung AKC (1992) The circumcision question. Postgrad Med 91:237–244Google Scholar
- 15.Shulman J, Ben-Hur N, Neuman Z (1964) Surgical complication of circumcision. Am J Dis Child 127:149–154Google Scholar