A kindred with Griscelli disease: Spectrum of neurological involvement
- 53 Downloads
We report four members of a highly consanguineous family with silver-grey pigmentation of hair, two of whom had skin histology compatible with Griscelli disease. Unlike previously reported patients, they did not suffer from recurrent infections. In addition, there was a spectrum of neurological involvement varying from mild cognitive delay with a convulsive disorder in one patient, to a fatal degenerative course in three others. One patient developed a prolonged febrile illness with histological evidence of florid lymphoid hyperplasia.
Key wordsGriscelli Silver hair Cerebral involvement Lymphoid hyperplasia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Conley ME, Henle W (1987) Acyclovir in accelerated phase of Chediak-Higashi syndrome. Lancet I:212Google Scholar
- 4.Devendra DP, Yunis EJ (1984) Cellular typing: mixed lymphocyte response and cell mediated lymphocytolysis. In: Rose NR, Freidman H, Fahey JL (eds) Manual of clinical immunology. Am Soc Microbiol:847–857Google Scholar
- 7.Fabian I, Shapira E, Gadish M, Kletter Y, Nagler A, Flidel O, Slavin S (1991) Effect of human interleukin-3, macrophage and granulocyte/macrophage colony stimulating factor on monocyte function following autologous bone-marrow transplantation. Leuk ResGoogle Scholar
- 8.Griscelli C, Durandy A, Guy-Grand D, Daguillard F, Herzog C, Pruneiras N (1978) A syndrome associating partial albinism and immunodeficiency. Am J Med 65:698–702Google Scholar
- 9.Griscelli C, Geha R, Durandy A, LeDeist F, Guy-Grand D, Fischer A, Nezelof C, Cesarini JP (1986) A syndrome of partial albinism and immunodeficiency distinct from the Chediak-Higashi syndrome. Progress in immunodeficiency research and therapy II. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ho M, Miller G, Atchison RW, Breining MK, Drummer JS, Andiman WS, Starzl TE, Eastman BP, Hardest RL, Bahnson HT, Hakala TR, Rosenthal T (1985) Epstein-Barr infection and DNA hybridisation studies in post transplantation lymphoma and lymphoproliferative lesions: the role of primary infection. J Infect Dis 152:876–886PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Matzner Y (1987) Neutrophil function studies in clinical medicine. Transfusion Med Rev 1:171–181Google Scholar
- 16.Rechavi G, Ben-Bassat I, Berkovicz U, Martinowitz F, Brok-Simoni F, Neumann Y, Vansover A, Gotleib-Stematsky T, Ramot B (1987) Molecular analysis of Burkitt's leukemia in two hemophilic brothers with AIDS. Blood 57:1713–1717Google Scholar