Transcobalamin II deficiency: Case report and review of the literature
A male Caucasian infant presented at 6 weeks of age with failure to thrive, diarrhoea, macrocytic anaemia, and decreased IgG. He had normal serum B12 and folate levels. Serum cobalamin binding capacity showed no detectable transcobalamin II. Both parents showed levels consistent with a heterozygous state. The literature is extensively reviewed, and the importance of early diagnosis to prevent neurological dysfunction is stressed.
Key wordsTranscobalamin II deficiency Macrocytic anaemia Failure to thrive
unsaturated serum cobalamin binding capacity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Arwert F, Porck HJ, Frater-Schroder M, Brahe C, Geurts van Kessel A, Westerveld A, Meera Khan P, Zang K, Frants RR, Korbeek HT, Eriksson AW (1986) Assignment of human transcobalamin II (TCII) to chromosome 22 using somatic cell hybrids and monosomic meningioma cells. Hum Genet 73:378–381CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Carmel R (1986) Transcobalamin II deficiency and oral cobalamin therapy. Blood 67,5:1522Google Scholar
- 5.Carmel R, Rovindranath Y (1984) Congenital transcobalamin II deficiency presenting atypically with a low serum cobalamin level. Studies demonstrating the coexistence of a circulating transcobalamin I (R binder) complex Blood 63,3:598–605Google Scholar
- 7.Hakami N, Neiman PE, Canellos GP, Lazerson J (1971) Neonatal megaloblastic anemia due to inherited transcobalamin II deficiency in two siblings. N Eng J Med 285:1163–1170Google Scholar
- 8.Hall CA (1981) Congenital disorders of vitamin B12 transport and their contribution to concept II. Yale Biol Med 54:485–495Google Scholar
- 11.Hitzig WH, Dohmann U, Pluss HJ, Vischer D (1974) Hereditary transcobalamin II deficiency: clinical findings in a new family. J Pediatrics 85:622–628Google Scholar
- 12.Hoffbrand AV, Tripp E, Jackson BFA, Luck WE (1984) Hereditary abnormal transcobalamin II previously diagnosed as congenital dihydrofolate reductase deficiency. N Eng J Med 310:789–790Google Scholar
- 15.Kanazama S, Herbert V, Herzlick B, Drivas A, Manusselis C (1983) Removal of cobalamin analogue in bile by enterohepatic circulation of vitamin B12. Lancet I:702–708Google Scholar
- 16.Meyers PA, Carmel R (1984) Hereditary transcobalamin II deficiency with subnormal serum cobalamin levels. Pediatrics 24,5:866–871Google Scholar
- 17.Niebrugge SJ, Benjamin DR, Christie D, Scott CR (1982) Hereditary transcobalamin II deficiency presenting as red cell hypoplasia. J Pediatrics 101:732–735Google Scholar
- 22.Zeitlin HC, Sheppard K, Baum JD, Bolton FG, Hall CA (1985) Homozygous transcobalamin II deficiency maintained on oral hydroxocobalamin. Blood 66,5:1022–1027Google Scholar