Stereoselectivity in mammalian chemical communication: Male mouse pheromones
- 69 Downloads
Two male mouse pheromones, 3,4-dehydro-exo-brevicomin (DHB) and 2-sec-butyldihydrothiazole (SBT), are chiral molecules which were previously tested in their respective bioasays as racemic mixtures. The focus of this study has been to determine the absolute configuration of their natural forms and its relation to stereospecific biological action. DHB was established as the R,R-enantiomer possessing biological activity. Due to an extremely easy racemization of SBT under very mild conditions, enantioselectivity of its transmission and its action at the receptor site appear to be of secondary importance.
Key wordsMale mouse pheromones stereospecific response chromatographic resolution of optical isomers estrus synchronization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Whitten, W. K., and Champlin, A. K., in: Handbook of Physiology, sect. 7, vol. 2, p. 109. Ed. R. O. Greep. Am. Physiol. Soc., Washington DC 1972.Google Scholar
- 4.Novotny, M., Schwende, F. J., Wiesler, D., Jorgenson, J., and Carmack, M., Experientia46 (1984) 217.Google Scholar
- 7.Jemiolo, B., Alberts, J., Sochinski-Wiggins, S., Harvey, S., and Novotny, M., Anim. Behav.33 (1985) 1114.Google Scholar
- 10.Friedman, L., and Miller, J. G., Science122 (1971) 1044.Google Scholar
- 11.Silverstein, R. M., Science213 (1981) 1326.Google Scholar
- 14.Riley, R. G., Silverstein, R. M., and Moser, J. C., Science183 (1974) 760.Google Scholar
- 16.Prodan, K. A., M. S. Thesis, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 1976.Google Scholar
- 19.Lukevics, E., Liberts, L., and Voronkov, M. G., Zh. obshch. Khim.39 (1969) 806 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 21.Scheibye, S., Pedersen, B. S., and Lawesson, S.-O., Bull. Soc. chim. Belg.87 (1978) 229.Google Scholar
- 23.Novotny, M., Lee, M. L., and Bartle, K. D., Chromatographia7 (1974) 333.Google Scholar