This paper describes a compiler system which makes use of production rules for the translation. The source language syntax is defined in terms of a phrase structure grammar. Semantic rules are provided by an extension of the production rules, and special symbols are introduced for this purpose. Recognition of symbol strings is facilitated by a special syntactic filter routine. An example of a simple macro compiler is given to illustrate the basic concepts of the system.
Key wordsCompiler phrase structure grammar production rules filter macro syntax semantics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brooker, R. A. and Morris, D.,A general translation program for phrase-structure languages, Jour. ACM, 1962, vol. 9, No. 1.Google Scholar
- 2.Chomsky, N.,On certain formal properties of grammars, Information and Control, 1959, vol. 2, No. 2.Google Scholar
- 3.Eickel, J. and Paul, M.,The parsing and ambiguity problem for Chomsky languages, Formal Language Description Languages (Ed. by T. B. Steel), North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1966, pp. 52–75.Google Scholar
- 4.Ginsburg, S. and Greibach, S.,Deterministic context-free languages, Information and Control, 1966, vol. 9, No. 6.Google Scholar
- 5.Ingerman, P. Z.,A syntax-oriented translator, Academic Press, New York and London 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.Irons, E. T.,A syntax-directed compiler for ALGOL 60, Comm. ACM, 1961, vol. 4, No. 1.Google Scholar
- 7.Kleene, S. C.,Introduction to metamathematics, Princeton, N. J., van Nostrand, 1952.Google Scholar
- 8.Wilkes, M. V.,An experiment with a self-compiling compiler for a simple list-processing language, Annual Review in Automatic Programming, Vol. 4, 1964, Pergamon Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 9.Zhogolev, E. A.,Algorithm for the recognition of categories using syntactic tables, (Russian), Journal of computing mathematics and mathematical physics, Moscow, 1965, vol. 5, No. 4.Google Scholar
- 10.Dömölki, B.,Algorithms for the recognition of properties of symbol strings, (Russian), Journal of computing mathematics and mathematical physics, Moscow 1965, vol. 5, No. 1.Google Scholar
- 11.Dömölki, B.,Problems of the syntactic analysis of formal languages, (Russian), Computational Linguistics, Budapest No. 5, 1967.Google Scholar