As a contribution to programming methodology, the paper contains a detailed, step-by-step account of the considerations leading to a program for solving the 8-queens problem. The experience is related to the method of stepwise refinement and to general problem solving techniques.
Key wordsprogramming methodology education in programming programming techniques action clusters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. W. Dijkstra,Notes on structured programming, Technical University Eindhoven, 1970.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Hyman and B. Anderson,Solving Problems, International Science and Technology, (Sept. 1965), 36–41.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Naur,A manual of Gier Algol 4, Regnecentralen, Copenhagen, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Naur,Programming by action clusters, BIT 9 (1969), 250–258.Google Scholar
- 5.Software Engineering, ed. P. Naur and B. Randell, Nato Science Committee, 1969.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Wirth,Program Development by Stepwise Refinement, Comm. ACM 14 (April 1971), 221–227.Google Scholar