Axonal microtubules necessary for generation of sodium current in squid giant axons: II. Effect of colchicine upon asymmetrical displacement current
Effect of internal colchicine on asymmetrical displacement currents was studied by internally perfusing squid giant axons with a solution containing colchicine. It was found that (1) asymmetrical displacement currents were composed of two parts; colchicine-sensitive and colchicine-resistant; that (2) the colchicine-sensitive part had a definite rising phase while the colchicine-resistant one showed an instantaneous jump, followed by exponential decay; and that (3) the colchicine-sensitive part related to normal Na channels.
Key WordsNa gating currents Na currents colchicine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bezanilla, F., Armstrong, C.M. 1975. Kinetic properties and inactivation of the gating currents of sodium channels in squid axon.Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London B 270:449–458Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, A.L., Huxley, A.F. 1952. A quantitative description of membrane current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve.J. Physiol. (London) 117:500–544Google Scholar
- Katz, G.M., Schwartz, T.L. 1974. Temporal control of voltageclamped membranes: An examination of principles.J. Membrane Biol. 17:275–291Google Scholar
- Keynes, R.D., Rojas, E. 1974. Kinetics and steady-state properties of the charged system controlling sodium conductance in the squid giant axon.J. Physiol. (London) 239:393–434Google Scholar
- Keynes, R.D., Rojas, E. 1976. The temporal and steady-state relationship between activation of the sodium conductance and movement of the gating particles in the squid axon.J. Physiol. (London) 255:157–189Google Scholar
- Kimura, J.E., Meves, H. 1979. The effect of temperature on the asymmetrical charge movement in squid giant axons.J. Physiol. (London) 289:479–500Google Scholar
- Matsumoto, G., Ichikawa, M., Tasaki, A., Murofushi, H., Sakai, H. 1984. Axonal microtubules necessary for generation of sodium current in squid giant axons. I. Pharmacological study on sodium current and Restoration of sodium current by microtubule proteins and 260K protein.J. Membrane Biol. 77:77–91Google Scholar
- Meves, H. 1974. The effect of holding potential on the asymmetry currents in squid giant axons.J. Physiol. (London) 243:847–867Google Scholar
- Meves, H. 1976. The effect of zinc on the late displacement current in squid giant axons.J. Phusiol. (London) 254:787–801Google Scholar
- Meves, H., Vogel, W. 1977a. Inactivation of the asymmetrical displacement current in giant axons ofLoligo forbesi.J. Physiol. (London) 267:377–393Google Scholar
- Meves, H., Vogel, W. 1977b. Slow recovery of sodium current and gating current from inactivation.J. Physiol. (London) 267:395–410Google Scholar