By means ofParallel Coordinates planar “graphs” of multivariate relations are obtained. Certain properties of the relationship correspond tothe geometrical properties of its graph. On the plane a point ←→ line duality with several interesting properties is induced. A new duality betweenbounded and unbounded convex sets and hstars (a generalization of hyperbolas) and between Convex Unions and Intersections is found. This motivates some efficient Convexity algorithms and other results inComputational Geometry. There is also a suprising “cusp” ←→ “inflection point” duality. The narrative ends with a preview of the corresponding results inR N .
Key wordsConvexity Duality Parallel coordinates Intelligent control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ayres F (1967) Projective geometry. Schaum's Outline Series In Mathematics, McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Banchoff TF, Strauss CM (1979) Real time computer graphics analysis of figures in four-space in  pp. 159–167Google Scholar
- 5.Brissom D (ed.) (1979) Hypergraphics: visualizing complex relationships in art, science and technology. Am Assoc Adv Sci. Westview Press, BoulderGoogle Scholar
- 6.Brodetsky OS (1949) A first course in nomography. G. Bell & Sons, London (First Published 1920).Google Scholar
- 9.Cohan S (1984) Mobility analysis using parallel coordinate (to appear) in J Inter Fed Theory Mach Mech Available as IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center Report # G320-2754Google Scholar
- 11.Dimsdale B (1981) Conic transformations. IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center Report #G320-2713, OctoberGoogle Scholar
- 12.Dimsdale B (1984) Conic transformations & projectivities. IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center Report #G320-2753Google Scholar
- 14.Grunbaum B (1967) Convex polytopes. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Inselberg A (1981) N-dimensional graphics. Part I: Lines & hyperplanes. IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center Report G320-2711Google Scholar
- 16.Inselberg A, Reif M (1984) Convexity in parallel coordinates, submitted for publication. Presently available as IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center Report #G320-2738Google Scholar
- 17.Inselberg A, Reif M, Chomut T (1985) Convexity algorithms in parallel coordinates (to be submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 18.Isaacson PL, Burton RP, Douglas DM (1984) Presentation of hypothesized 4-D phenomena. Comput Graph World 48–63Google Scholar
- 21.Rivero J, Inselberg A (1984) Extension al analisis del Espacio De Fase de Systemas Dinamicos por las Coordenadas Paralelas. Proc VII Systems Engr Workshop. Santiago Chile July 1984Google Scholar