A patient with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) who presented with dysphagia is described. Barium swallow demonstrated diffuse esophagitis with longitudinal ulceration and sinus tracts to the mediastinum. Mycobacteria were seen on esophageal biopsies andMycobacterium tuberculosis was cultured from a pleural effusion. Mycobacterial esophagitis should be considered in the differential diagnosis of esophagitis in AIDS, particularly when sinus tracts are demonstrated.
Key wordsEsophagitis Mycobacteria Tuberculosis AIDS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rubinstein BM, Pastrana T, Jacobson H: Tuberculosis of the esophagus.Radiology 70:401–403, 1958Google Scholar
- 2.Naidich DP, Garay SM, Leitman BS, McCauley DI: Radiographic manifestations of pulmonary disease in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).Semin Roentgenol 22:14–30, 1987Google Scholar
- 3.Solinger AM, Hess EV: Acquired immune deficiency syndrome — an overview.Semin Roentgenol 22:9–13, 1987Google Scholar
- 4.Wall SD, Ominsky S, Altman DF, Perkins CL, Sollito R, Goldberg HI, Margulis AR: Multifocal abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract in AIDS.AJR 146:1–5, 1986Google Scholar
- 5.Frager DH, Frager JD, Brandt LJ, Wolf EL, Rand LG, Klein RS, Beneventano TC: Gastrointestinal complications of AIDS: radiologic features.Radiology 158:597–603, 1986Google Scholar
- 6.Vincent ME, Robbins AH:Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare complex enteritis: pseudo-Whipple disease in AIDS.AJR 144:921–922, 1985Google Scholar
- 7.Brody JM, Miller DK, Zeman RK, Klappenbach RS, Jaffe MH, Clark LR, Benjamin SB, Choyke PL: Gastric tuberculosis: a manifestation of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.Radiology 159:347–348, 1986Google Scholar
- 8.Thoeni RF, Margulis AR: Gastrointestinal tuberculosis.Semin Roentgenol 14:283–294, 1979Google Scholar
- 9.Savage PE, Grundy A: Oesophageal tuberculosis: an unusual cause of dysphagia.Br J Radiol 57:1153–1155, 1984Google Scholar
- 10.Schneider R: Tuberculous esophagitis.Gastrointest Radiol 1:143–145, 1976Google Scholar
- 11.Williford ME, Thompson WM, Hamilton JD, Postlethwait RW: Esophageal tuberculosis: findings on barium swallow and computed tomography.Gastrointest Radiol 8:119–122, 1983Google Scholar
- 12.Levine MS, Woldenberg R, Herlinger H, Laufer I: Opportunistic esophagitis in AIDS: radiographic diagnosis.Radiology 165:815–820, 1987Google Scholar