Mosaic pattern of encapsulated hepatocellular carcinoma: Correlation of magnetic resonance imaging and pathology
- 46 Downloads
Internal architecture of an encapsulated hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) was studied with magnetic resonance imaging and histologic correlation. The capsule of HCC showed low intensity relative to liver on both T1- and T2-weighted images. The T1-weighted images were superior to the T2-weighted images in delineating the capsule of HCC. The tumor showed a mosaic pattern, which was a configuration composed of multiple compartments of different intensities, reflecting viable tumor nodules and a necrotic portion. Viable tumor nodules, composed of trabeculae of polygonal cells resembling the normal liver cell with well-formed sinusoids, showed low intensity relative to liver on T1-weighted images and high intensity on T2-weighted images. The necrotic portion, composed of coagulation of amorphous, thick eosinophilic material without hemorrhage or inflammatory reaction, showed low intensity relative to liver on both T1- and T2-weighted images. The T2-weighted images were superior to the T1-weighted images in demonstrating the mosaic pattern of HCC.
Key wordsLiver, neoplasms Hepatocellular carcinoma Magnetic resonance imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wittenberg J, Stark DD, Forman B, et al.: Differentiation of hepatic metastases from hemangioma and cysts by MR.AJR 151:79–84, 1988Google Scholar
- 2.Itoh K, Nishimura K, Togashi K, et al.: Hepatocellular carcinoma: MR imaging.Radiology 164:21–25, 1987Google Scholar
- 3.Ebara M, Ohto M, Watanabe Y, et al.: Diagnosis of small hepatocellular carcinoma: correlation of MR imaging and tumor histologic studies.Radiology 159:371–377, 1986Google Scholar
- 4.Itai Y, Ohtomo K, Furui S, Minami M, Yoshikawa K, Yashiro N: MR imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Comput Assist Tomogr 10:963–968, 1986Google Scholar
- 5.Rummeny E, Weissleder R, Stark DD, et al.: Primary liver tumors: diagnosis by MR imaging.AJR 152:63–72, 1989Google Scholar
- 6.Ohtomo K, Itai Y, Furui S, Yoshikawa K, Yashiro N, Iio M: MR imaging of portal vein thrombosis in hepatocellular carcinoma.J Comput Assist Tomogr 9:328–329, 1985Google Scholar
- 7.Rummeny E, Weissleder R, Sironi S, et al.: Central scars in primary liver tumors: MR features, specificity, and pathologic correlation.Radiology 171:323–326, 1989Google Scholar
- 8.Wilbur AC, Gyi B: Hepatocellular carcinoma: MR appearance mimicking focal nodular hyperplasia.AJR 149:721–722, 1987Google Scholar
- 9.Okuda K, Musha H, Nakajima Y, et al.: Clinicopathologic features of encapsulated hepatocellular carcinoma. A study of 26 cases.Cancer 40:1240–1245, 1977Google Scholar
- 10.Tanaka S, Kitamura T, Imaoka S, Sasaki Y, Taniguchi H, Ishiguro S: Hepatocellular carcinoma: sonographic and histologic correlation.AJR 140:701–707, 1983Google Scholar