Improvement of long-term prognosis in patients with ovarian cancers by adjuvant sizofiran immunotherapy: a prospective randomized controlled study
- 35 Downloads
The effect of immunotherapy using sizofiran (SPG) on the prognosis of patients with ovarian cancers was prospectively studied in a total of 68 patients, who were randomly assigned to either a cisplatin, adriamycin and cyclophosphamide (PAC) therapy group or a PAC plus SPG combination therapy group.
The survival rate was significantly higher in patients with stage Ic, II or III cancers treated with the PAC plus SPG combination, compared with the patients treated with PAC alone. In the SPG-receiving patients with stage Ic or more advanced cancers who were treated with four cycles or more of PAC, the outcome was improved (Cox-Mantel, p=0.074; generalized Kruskal-Wallis, p=0.032). Similar improvement was also observed in the patients with non-serous adenocarcinomas (Cox-Mantel, p-0.076; generalized Krukal-Wallis, p=0.045). No side effects attributable to SPG were recorded.
The present results suggest that the use of SPG in combination with long-term chemotherapy improves the postoperative prognosis in ovarian cancer patients.
Key wordsImmunotherapy Ovarian Cancer Prognosis Sizofiran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Luesley, D., Lawton, F., Blackledge, G., Hilton, C., Kelly, K., Rollason, T., Wade-Evans, T., Jordan, J., Fielding, J. and Latief, T. Failure of second-look laparotomy to influence Survival in epithelial ovarian cancer. Lancet 1988; ii: 599–603.Google Scholar
- 6.Okamura, K., Suzuki, M., Chihara, T., Fujiwara, A., Fukuda, T., Goto, S., Ichinohe, K., Jimi, S., Kasamatsu, T., Kawai, N., Mizuguchi, K., Mori, S., Nakano, H., Noda, K., Sekiba, K., Suzuki, K., Suzuki, T., Takahashi, K., Takeuchi, K., Takeuchi, S., Yajima, A. and Ogawa, N. Clinical evaluation of schizophyllan combined with irradiation in patients with cervical cancer. A randomized controlled study. Cancer 1986; 58: 865–872.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Norisuye, K., Yanai, T. and Fujita, H. Triple helix of a schizophyllum commune polysaccharide in aqueous solution. J Polymer Sci 1980; 18: 547–558.Google Scholar
- 10.Ogawa, Y., Goodman, G.B., Chaplin, D.J., Grulkey, W. and Lam, G.K.Y. Combination therapy of pions and SPG (sonifian, schizophylian), a biological response modifier for mouse tumor systems. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys 1990; 18: 1415–1420.Google Scholar
- 13.Inoue, M., Nakanishi, K., Ueda, G. and Tanizawa, O. Intermittent intensive combination chemotherapy with cisplatin, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide cyclic PAC chemotherapy for the ovarian cancer. Am J Clinicol Oncol 1992; 15: 1–6.Google Scholar
- 15.Neijh, JP. Complete remission at laparotomy: Still a gold standard in Ovarian Cancer? Lancet 1986; ii: 1028.Google Scholar
- 16.Fujimoto, S., Furue, H., Kimura, T., Kondo, T., Orita, K., Taguchi, T., Yoshida, K., and Ogawa, N. Clinical outcome of postooperative adjuvant immunochemotherapy with Sizofiram for patients with resectable gastric cancer: A randomised controlled study. Eur J Cancer 1991; 27: 114–118.Google Scholar