Permeability changes induced by electric impulses in vesicular membranes
- 473 Downloads
Electric impulses were found to cause transient permeability changes in the membranes of vesicles storing biogenic amines. Release of catecholamines induced by electric fields (of the order of 20 kV/cm and decaying exponentially with a decay time of about 150 μsec) was studied, using the chromaffin granules of bovine adrenomedullary cells as a vesicular model system. Far-UV-absorption spectroscopy was applied to determine the amount of catecholamines released from suspended vesicles. A polarization mechanism is suggested for the induction of short-lived permeability changes caused by electric fields. Such transient changes in permeability may possibly represent a part of the sequence of events leading to stimulated neurohumoral secretion.
KeywordsHuman Physiology Catecholamine Decay Time Biogenic Amine Permeability Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom, F. E., Iversen, L. L., Schmitt, F. O. 1970. Macromolecules in synaptic function.Neurosci. Res. Prog. Bull. 8:325.Google Scholar
- Eigen, M., De Maeyer, L. 1963. Relaxation methods.In: Technique of Organic Chemistry. S. L. Friess, E. S. Lewis, and A. Weissberger, editors. Vol. 8, Pt. 2, p. 895. Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Euler, U. S. von. 1970. Adrenergic neurotransmitter functions.Science 173:202.Google Scholar
- Schwarz, G. 1962. A theory of the low-frequency dielectric dispersion of colloidal particles in electrolyte solution.J. Phys. Chem. 66:2636.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. D. 1968. Biochemistry of adrenal chromaffin granules.In: The Interaction of Drugs and Subcellular Components in Animal Cells. P. N. Campbell, editor. p. 239. J. & A. Churchill, Ltd., London.Google Scholar
- Stein, W. D. 1967. The Movements of Molecules across Cell Membranes. p. 36. Academic Press Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Wiersema, P. H., Loeb, A. L., Overbeek, J. T. G. 1966. Calculation of the electrophoretic mobility of a spherical colloid particle.J. Colloid Interface Sci. 22:78.Google Scholar