Consider a collection of disjoint polygons in the plane containing a total ofn edges. We show how to build, inO(n 2) time and space, a data structure from which inO(n) time we can compute the visibility polygon of a given point with respect to the polygon collection. As an application of this structure, the visibility graph of the given polygons can be constructed inO(n 2) time and space. This implies that the shortest path that connects two points in the plane and avoids the polygons in our collection can be computed inO(n 2) time, improving earlierO(n 2 logn) results.
Key wordsComputational geometry Computer graphics Robotics Visibility Hidden-line Elimination Visibility graph Shortest path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A]T. Asano, An efficient algorithms for finding the visibility polygons for a polygonal region with holes.Transaction of IECE of Japan, Vol. E-68 (1985), pp. 557–559.Google Scholar
- [B]K. Q. Brown, Geometric transforms for fast geometric algorithms. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1980.Google Scholar
- [C]B. Chazelle, Filtering search: a new approach to query-answering.Proceedings of the 24th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Tucson, 1983, pp. 122–132.Google Scholar
- [CGL]B. Chazelle, L. J. Guibas and D. T. Lee, The power of geometric duality.Proceedings of the 24th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Tucson, 1983, pp. 217–225; also,BIT, Vol. 25 (1985), pp. 76–90.Google Scholar
- [EOS]H. Edelsbrunner, J. O'Rourke and R. Seidel, Constructing arrangements of lines and hyperplanes with applications.Proceedings of the 24th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Tucson, 1983, pp. 83–91.Google Scholar
- [EOW]H. Edelsbrunner, M. H. Overmars and D. Wood, Graphics in flatland: a case study. InAdvances in Computing Research (F. P. Preparata, ed.), Vol. 1, JAI Press Inc., 1983, pp. 35–59.Google Scholar
- [ET]H. A. El Gindy and G. T. Toussaint, Efficient algorithms for inserting and deleting edges from triangulations. Manuscript, School of Computer Science, McGill University, 1984.Google Scholar
- [GT]H. N. Gabow and R. E. Tarjan, A linear-time algorithm for a special case of disjoint set union.Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Boston, 1983, pp. 246–251; also,Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Vol. 30 (1985), pp. 209–221.Google Scholar
- [H]D. Harel, A linear time algorithm for the lowest common ancestors problem.Proceedings of the 21st Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Syracuse, N.Y., 1980, pp. 308–319.Google Scholar
- [L78]D. T. Lee, Proximity and reachability in the plane. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1978.Google Scholar
- [SS]M. Sharir and A. Schoorr, On shortest paths in polyhedral spaces.Proceedings of the 16th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Washington, D.C., 1984, pp. 144–153.Google Scholar