Improved sorting networks withO(logN) depth
- 296 Downloads
The sorting network described by Ajtaiet al. was the first to achieve a depth ofO(logn). The networks introduced here are simplifications and improvements based strongly on their work. While the constants obtained for the depth bound still prevent the construction being of practical value, the structure of the presentation offers a convenient basis for further development.
Key wordsSorting networks Comparators Parallel algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Ajtai, J. Komlós, and E. Szemerédi, AnO(n logn) sorting network,Proc. 15th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1983, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- K. Batcher, Sorting networks and their applications,Proc. AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference, 1968, pp. 307–314.Google Scholar
- F. Chung, On concentrators, superconcentrators, generalizers, and nonblocking networks,Bell System Tech. J.,58 (1978), 1765–1777.Google Scholar
- D. E. Knuth,The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 3, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1973.Google Scholar
- A. Lubotzky, R. Phillips, and P. Sarnak, Explicit expanders and the Ramanujan conjectures,Proc. 18th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1986, pp. 240–246.Google Scholar