Preliminary observations on plasma fibrinogen and plasma protein concentrations and on plasma protein: Fibrinogen ratios in clinically healthy buffaloes
- 93 Downloads
The plasma fibrinogen concentration, the total plasma protein concentration and the plasma protein to fibrinogen ratio (PP:F) were determined in clinically healthy Nili Ravi buffaloes. The plasma fibrinogen concentrations in calves, lactating and non-lactating buffaloes were 513±62, 615±90 and 544±74 mg/dl, respectively, and were statistically different (p<0.05). Total plasma protein concentrations in these animals were 7.15±0.28, 9.32±0.53 and 8.79±0.58 g/dl. PP:F for all animals was between 11 and 19. Fibrinogen levels were positively correlated with plasma protein (r=0.59) and negatively correlated with PP:F (r=−0.59).
Keywordsblood buffalo fibrinogen plasma proteins
plasma protein to fibrinogen ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chaudhry, M.N. and Majeed, M.A., 1989. Effect of season, lactation and pregnancy on physio-chemical parameters of buffalo blood.Pakistan Veterinary Journal,9, 200–202Google Scholar
- Coles, E.H., 1980.Veterinary Clinical Pathology, (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia), 48–52Google Scholar
- Kulkarni, B.A. and Talvelkar, B.A., 1984. Studies on biochemical constituents in lactating and dry Indian buffaloes.Indian Veterinary Journal,61, 564–568Google Scholar
- Nangia, O.P. and Garg, S.L., 1982. Age-related changes in plasma fibrinogen and related parameters in buffalo-calves.Indian Journal of Animal Sciences,52, 1024–1027Google Scholar
- Schalm, O.W., 1970. Plasma protein:fibrinogen ratios in routine clinical material from cats, dogs, horses and cattle — Part III.California Veterinarian,24, 6, 9–10Google Scholar
- Schalm, O.W., Smith, R. and Kaneko, J.J., 1970. Plasma protein:fibrinogen ratios in dog, cattle and horses, Part 1: influence of age on normal values and explanation of use in disease.California Veterinarian,24, 4–11Google Scholar
- Steel, R.G.D. and Torrie, J.H., 1980.Principles and Procedures of Statistics, (McGraw-Hill, New York)Google Scholar