A note on certain functional determinants
- 30 Downloads
We consider the problem when a scalar function ofn variables can be represented in the form of a determinant det(fi(xj)), the so-called Casorati determinant off1,f2,⋯,fn. The result is applied to the solution of some functional equations with unknown functionsH of two variables that involve determinants det(H(xi,xj)).
AMS (1991) subject classificationPrimary 39B40, 26B40
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aczél, J., andDhombres, J.,Functional equations in several variables. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- Čadek, M., andŠimša, J.,Decomposable functions of several variables. Aequationes Math.40 (1990), 8–25.Google Scholar
- Gauchman, H. andRubel, L. A.,Sums of products of functions of x times functions of y. Linear Algebra Appl.125 (1989), 19–63.Google Scholar
- Neuman, F.,Factorizations of matrices and functions of two variables. Czechoslovak Math. J.32 (1982), 582–588.Google Scholar
- Neuman, F.,Finite sums of products of functions in single variables. Linear Algebra Appl.134 (1990), 153–164.Google Scholar
- Rassias, T. M.,A criterion for a function to be represented as a sum of products of factors. Bull. Inst. Math. Acad. Sinica14 (1986), 377–382.Google Scholar