E-Tif: An electronic terminology interchange format
- 43 Downloads
This article begins by emphasizing the importance of terminology in this modern age of technical innovations and machine-based translation systems, establishing the need for a terminology interchange format, and distinguishing between lexicography and terminology. It then reviews previous attempts to establish terminology interchange formats and concludes with a forceful argument for a new system based on the TEI-based notions of elements and attributes.
Key wordsTEI SGML E-TIF terminology interchange translation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hjulstad, Havard. “Nordic Terminological Record Format (NTRF)”. Oslo: Norwegian Council for Technical Terminology, 1991.Google Scholar
- ISO. ”Plastics — Vocabulary”. InISO 472:1988. Bilingual edition. Geneva: ISO, 1988, p. 84.Google Scholar
- Melby, Alan. “A Three-Level Design for Translator Tools”.Proceedings of COLING82. Prague, 1982.Google Scholar
- Melby, Alan. “MicroMATER: A Proposed Format for Exchanging Lexical/Terminological Data Files”.META: Translators Journal, 36, 1 (1991).Google Scholar
- Sperberg-McQueen, C.M. and Lou Burnard, eds.Guidelines for Electronic Text Encoding and Interchange (TEI P3). 2 vols. Chicago and Oxford: Text Encoding Initiative, 1994.Google Scholar