Identification of a splice mutation at the adenine phosphoribosyltransferase locus in a German family
- 35 Downloads
We examined the molecular basis of adenine phosphoribosyltransferase (APRT) deficiency in homozygous-deficient, identical twin brothers who were born to non-consanguineous German parents. DNA was isolated from blood, and the APRT gene was amplified by PCR, subcloned into M13, and sequenced completely. A single T insertion between bases 1831–1832 or 1832–1833 was identified. This alters the consensus sequence at the exon 4 — intron 4 splice donor site and leads to aberrant splicing. The same mutation has been described previously in two affected brothers from Belgium, and the Indianapolis group has also identified it in two other, unrelated Caucasian patients. Thus, this mutation may be a common cause of APRT deficiency in the Caucasian population.
Key wordsAPRT deficiency Molecular genetics Mutation Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
polymerase chain reaction
restriction fragment length polymorphism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arrand JE, Murray AM, Spurr N (1987)Sph I restriction fragment length polymorphism on human chromosome 16 detected with anAPRT gene probe. Nucl Acid Res 15:9615Google Scholar
- 4.Chen J, Sahota AS, Stambrook PJ, Tischfield JA (1991) Hot spots for germline and in vivo somatic mutations in a human autosomal gene. Science (in press)Google Scholar
- 11.Murray JAH (1986) HCC ligation: rapid and specific DNA construction with blunt ended DNA fragments. Nuc Acids Res 14:10118Google Scholar
- 12.Ogasawara N, Goto H (1989) Restriction fragment length polymorphism ofHPRT andAPRT genes in Japanese population. Adv Exp Biol Med 253A:461–465Google Scholar
- 13.Sahota AS, Chen J, Stambrook PJ, Tischfield JA (1991) Mutational basis of adenine phosphoribosyltransferase deficency. Int J Pur Pyr Res 2, Suppl 1:83Google Scholar
- 14.Simmonds HA, Sahota AS, Van Acker KJ (1989) Adenine Phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency and 2,8-dihydroxadenine lithiasis. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D (eds) The metabolic basis of inherited disease, 6th edn. McGraw Hill, New York, pp 1029–1044Google Scholar
- 15.Stambrook PJ, Dush MK, Trill JJ, Tischfield JA (1984) Cloning of a functional human adenine phosphoribosyltransferase (APRT) gene: identification of restriction fragment length polymorphism and preliminary analysis of DNAs from APRT-deficient families and cell mutants. Som Cell Mol Genet 10:359–367PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Tischfield JA, Chen J, Stambrook PJ (1990) Wither APRT? Molecular Biology of APRT Conference, Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind., USA (abstract 16)Google Scholar
- 17.Zöllner N, Gresser U (1990) Nephrolithiasis in twins with APRT deficiency. Stones as a marker of an inborn error of metabolism. Bildgebung/Imaging 57:64–66Google Scholar