Duplications of mitochondrial DNA: Implications for pathogenesis
- 72 Downloads
This paper describes the mapping data obtained on two patients in whom there was clear evidence for a rearrangement of mitochondrial DNA, using restriction enzyme analysis of DNA from whole blood and of polymerase chain reaction products. This suggested that a direct tandem duplication was present, and this was confirmed by sequence analysis of the junction fragment between duplicated segments. In each case the gene for cytochrome oxidase subunit I (MTCOX1) was interrupted, creating reading frames which, if transcribed and translated, would result in truncated versions of this peptide.
Heteroplasmy and mosaicism for the abnormal mtDNA population were apparent. Preliminary data also suggest that high-molecular-weight rearrangements of the duplicated region are present in all tissues.
The hypothesis that these duplicated genomes caused the phenotype was investigated by examining the distribution of duplicated genomes in various tissues using Southern hybridization and by RNA analysis. This included Northern blotting and cDNA sequencing.
In order to investigate the origins of the duplicated mtDNAs, their distribution in different cells within a tissue was documented using the polymerase chain reaction.
KeywordsPolymerase Chain Reaction Polymerase Chain Reaction Product Northern Blotting Cytochrome Oxidase Mapping Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown MW, George M, Wilson AC (1979) Rapid evolution of animal mtDNA.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 1967–1971.Google Scholar
- Brega A, Scozzari R, Maccioni L et al (1986) Mitochondrial polymorphism in Italy.Ann Hum Genet 50: 327–338.Google Scholar
- Cantatore P, Gadaleta MN, Roberti M, Saccone C, Wilson AC (1987) Duplication remoulding of the tRNA genes during the evolutionary rearrangement mitochondrial genes.Nature 329: 853–855.Google Scholar
- Clayton DA, Vinograd J (1969) Complex mitochondrial DNA in leukaemia and normal human myeloid cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 62: 1077–1084.Google Scholar
- Gartler SM, Riggs AD (1983) Mammalian X chromosome inactivation.Ann Hum Genet 17: 155–190.Google Scholar
- Hauswirth WW, Clayton DA (1985) Length heterogeneity of a conserved displant-loop sequence in human mitochondrial DNA.Nucl Acids Res 13: 8093–8104.Google Scholar
- Hauswirth WW, Van de Walle MJ, Laipis PJ, Olivo PD (1984) Heterogeneous mitochondrial DNA D loop sequences in bovine tissues.Cell 37: 1001–1007.Google Scholar
- Horai S, Gojobori T, Matsunaga E (1984) Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in Japanese. I. Analysis with restriction enzymes of 6 bp recognition.Hum Genet 68: 324–332.Google Scholar
- Johnson MJ, Wallace DC, Ferris SD, Rattazzi MC, Cavalli-Ssforza LL (1983) Radiation of human mitochondrial types analysed by restriction endonuclease cleavage pattern.J Mol Evol 14: 255–271.Google Scholar
- Larsson N, Holme E, Kristiansson B, Oldfors A, Tulinius M (1990) Progressive increase of the mutation mitochondrial DNA fraction in Kearns-Sayre syndrome.Pediatr Res 28: 131.Google Scholar
- Mignotte F, Gueride M, Champagne A-M, Monoulu JC (1990) Direct repeats in the non-coding region of rabbit mitochondrial DNA: Involvement in the generation of intra-individual and inter-individual heterogeneity.Eur J Biochem 194: 561.Google Scholar
- Moraes CT, Schoen EA, DiMauro S, Miranda AF (1989). Heteroplasmy of mitochondrial genomes in clonal cultures from patients with Kearns-Sayre syndrome.Biochem Biophys Res Commun 160: 765–771.Google Scholar
- Moritz C (1991) Evolutionary dynamics of mitochondrial DNA duplications in parthenogenetic lizards.Genetics 129: 103.Google Scholar
- Moritz C, Brown WM (1987) Tandem duplications in animal mitochondrial DNAs variation in incidence and gene content among lizards.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 7183–7187.Google Scholar
- Poulton J, Deadman ME, Gardiner RM (1989a) Duplications of mitochondrial DNA mitochondrial myopathy.Lancet 1: 236–240.Google Scholar
- Poulton J, Deadman ME, Gardiner RM (1989b) Tandem direct duplications of mitochondrial DNA in mitochondrial myopathy: analysis of nucleotide sequence and tissue distribution.Nucl Acids Res 17: 10223–10229.Google Scholar
- Rotig A, Colonna M, Blanche S et al (1988) Deletions of blood mitochondrial DNA in pancytopenia.Lancet 1: 567–568.Google Scholar
- Rotig A, Cormier V, Blanche S et al (1991a). Pearson's marrow-pancreas syndrome.J Clin Invest 86: 1601–1608.Google Scholar
- Rotig A, Bessis J, Romero N et al (1991b) Maternally inherited duplication of the mitochondrial genome in a syndrome of proximal tubulopathy, diabetes mellitus and cerebellar ataxia.Am J Hum Genet 50: 364–370.Google Scholar
- Saiki RK, Scharf S, Faloona F et al (1985) Enzymatic amplification ofβ-globin genomic sequences and restriction site analysis for diagnosis of sickle cell anaemia.Science 230: 1350–1355.Google Scholar
- Santachiara-Benerecetti AS, Scozzari R, Semino O, Torroni A, Brega A, Wallace DC (1988) Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in Italy.Ann Hum Genet 52: 39–56.Google Scholar
- Shoubridge EA, Karpati G, Hastings KEM (1990) Deletion mutants are functionally dominant over wild-type mitochondrial genomes in skeletal muscle fiber segments in mitochondrial disease.Cell 62: 43–49.Google Scholar
- Small I, Suffolk R, Leaver CJ (1989) Evolution of plant mitochondrial genomes via substoichiometric intermediates.Cell 58: 69–76.Google Scholar
- Wallace DC (1989) Report of the committee on human mitochondrial DNA.Cytogenet Cell Genet 51: 612–621.Google Scholar
- Wallace DC, Zheng X, Lott M et al (1988) Familial mitochondrial encephalomyopathy (MERFFS) Genetic pathophysiological and biochemical characterisation of a mitochondrial DNA disease.Cell 55: 601–610.Google Scholar
- Welter C, Kovacs G, Seitz G, Blin N (1989) Alteration of mitochondrial DNA in human oncocytomas.Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer 1: 79–82.Google Scholar
- Young EG, Hanson MR (1987) A fused mitochondrial gene associated with cytoplasmic male sterility is developmentally regulated.Cell 50: 41–49.Google Scholar
- Zevering CE, Moritz C, Heidman A, Sturm RA (1991) Parallel origins of duplications and the formation of pseudogenes in mitochondrial DNA from parthenogenetic lizards.J Mol Evol 33: 435–441.Google Scholar
- Zeviani M, Gelcera C, Pannacci M et al (1990) Tissue distribution and transcription of mitochondrial DNA deletions in mitochondrial myopathies.Ann Neurol 28: 94–97.Google Scholar