Mechanical properties of mammalian single smooth muscle cells I. A low cost large range microforce transducer
- 26 Downloads
A transducer has been developed for measuring the minute forces generated during isometric contractions (1.0–10.0μN) of single smooth muscle cells from the pig urinary bladder and the human uterus. In addition to its high sensitivity, resolution and stability (100 mVμN−1, <0.1μN and <2.0μN h−1), the transducer features a very wide range (100–140μN) with good linearity, enabling measurement of contractions as well as passive force-length characteristics within one uninterrupted measurement session. Since the transducer features an independent and interchangeable force to displacement conversion system, different force ranges can be realized by inserting force conversion systems with different compliances.
KeywordsMechanical Property Smooth Muscle Muscle Cell Smooth Muscle Cell Large Range
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brehm, R. &Grootel, P. Van (1985) Toepassing van glaskeramiek in een precisie-meetapparaat.Nederlandse Vereniging voor Glastechniek informatie,2, 2–3.Google Scholar
- Glerum, J. J., Mastrigt, R. Van, (1990) Mechanical properties of mammalian single smooth muscle cells, II: Evaluation of a modified technique for attachment of cells to the measurement apparatus.J. Musc. Res. Cell Motil. 11, 338–343.Google Scholar
- Ishii, N. &Takahashi, K. (1982) Length-tension relation of single smooth muscle cells isolated from the pedal retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis.J. Musc. Res. Cell Mot. 3, 25–38.Google Scholar
- Ishii, N., Simpson, A. W. M. &Ashley, C. C. (1988) Intracellular free calcium ([Ca2+]i) and the ‘catch’ contraction in isolated molluscan smooth-muscle (ABRM) cells. (abstract)J. Musc. Res. Cell Mot. 9, 463.Google Scholar
- Iwazumi, T. (1982) High performance instrument for myofibrillar mechanics, (abstract)Bioph. J. 37, 357a.Google Scholar
- Tung, L. (1986) An ultrasensitive transducer for measurement of isometric contractile force from single heart cells.Pflügers Arch. 407, 109–15.Google Scholar
- Wieringa, P. A., Meer, M. Van Der, Dijk, A. M. Van &Laird, J. D. (1984) Sensitive force transducer system for mechanical studies of single isolated vascular smooth muscle cells.Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comp. 22, 130–7.Google Scholar