The accelerated centroid decomposition technique for optimal parallel tree evaluation in logarithmic time
- 181 Downloads
A new general parallel algorithmic technique for computations on trees is presented. In particular, it provides the firstn/logn processor,O(logn)-time deterministic EREW PRAM algorithm for expression tree evaluation. The technique solves many other tree problems within the same complexity bounds.
Key wordsExpression tree Parallel algorithm PRAM Centroid decomposition List ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AM-88]R. J. Anderson and G. L. Miller, Deterministic parallel list ranking, to appear, Aegean Workshop on Computing, Corfu, 1988.Google Scholar
- [CV-87]R. Cole and U. Vishkin, Faster optimal parallel prefix sums and list ranking, Technical Report No. 277, Courant Institute, New York University, 1987; to appear,Inform, and Computation.Google Scholar
- [GMT-88]H. Gazit, G. L. Miller, and S.-H. Teng, Optimal tree contraction in the EREW model, to appear,Princeton Workshop Book, Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- [GR-86]A. Gibbons and W. Rytter, An optimal parallel algorithm for dynamic tree expression evaluation and its applications, Research Report 77, Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry CV47AL, 1986.Google Scholar
- [H-86]X. He, The general tree algebraic computations and its applications in parallel algorithms design, Preprint, Department of Computer and Information Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, 1986.Google Scholar
- [MR-85]G. L. Miller and J. H. Reif, Parallel tree contraction and its applications,Proc. 26th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1985, pp. 478–489; to appear asParallel Tree Contraction. Part 1: Fundamentals, Randomness, and Computation (S. Micali, ed.), JAI Press, Greenwich, CT;Parallel Tree Contraction. Part 2: Further Applications, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- [R-85]J. H. Reif, An optimal parallel algorithm for integer sorting,Proc. 26th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1985, pp. 496–503; to appear,SIAM J. Comput.Google Scholar
- [Vi-83]U. Vishkin, Synchronous parallel computation—a survey, Technical Report No. 71, Department of Computer Science, Courant Institute, New York University, 1983.Google Scholar