Immunoelectron microscopic epitope locations of titin in rabbit heart muscle
- 35 Downloads
The location of cardiac titin epitopes in the sarcomere of rabbit cardiac, atrial and ventricular muscle was studied by using polyclonal antibodies against skeletal muscle titin. The results show that incubation with the antibody leads to the appearance of four electron-dense stripes in the A band of both atrial and ventricular cardiac muscle. The location and intensity of these stripes were identical to those observed in skeletal muscle. In conclusion we demonstrate that titins from skeletal and cardiac muscles share some common antigenic determinants.
KeywordsSkeletal Muscle Polyclonal Antibody Cardiac Muscle Heart Muscle Antigenic Determinant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Furst, D. O., Osborn, M., Nave, R. &Weber, K. (1988) The organization of titin filaments in the half-sarcomere revealed by monoclonal antibodies in immunoelectron microscopy: a map of ten non-repetitive epitopes starting at the Z-line extends close to the M-line.J. Cell Biol. 106, 1563–72.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Locker, R. H. &Wild, D. J. C. (1986) A comparative study of high molecular weight proteins in various types of muscle across the animal kingdom.J. Biochem. (Tokyo)99, 1473–84.Google Scholar
- Maruyama, K., Kimura, S., Ohashi, K. &Kuwano, Y. (1981) Connectin, an elastic protein of muscle. Identification of ‘titin’ with connectin.J. Biochem. (Tokyo)89, 701–9.Google Scholar
- Towbin, H., Staehelin, T. &Gordon, J. (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedures and some applications.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA)76, 4350–4.Google Scholar
- Wang, K., McLure, J. &Tu, A. (1979) Titin: major myofibrillar components of striated muscle.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA)76, 3698–702.Google Scholar
- Wang, K. (1982) Purification of titin and nebulin.Methods Enzymol. 85b, 264–74.Google Scholar
- Wang, K. (1985) Sarcomere-associated cytoskeletal lattices in striated muscle, review and hypothesis. InCell and Muscle Motility. (edited byShay, J. W.) Vol. 6, pp. 315–69. New York, London: Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- Winegrad, S. (1986) Membrane control of force generation. InThe Heart and Cardiovascular System. (edited byFozzard, H. A., Haber, E., Jennings, R. B., Katz, A. M. &Morgan, H. E.) Scientific Foundation Vol. 1, pp. 703–73. New York: Raven Press.Google Scholar
- Wood, D. S., Zollmann, J. &Reuben, J. P. (1978) Human skeletal muscle. Properties of the ‘chemically skinned’ fibres.Science 187, 1075–6.Google Scholar