Inconsistent stimulation of plasma ACTH through corticotropin-releasing factor in a patient with central Cushing's disease due to pituitary adenoma
- 17 Downloads
Three uncommon findings were observed in a case of Cushing's disease due to macroadenoma: no suppression of plasma ACTH during an 8-mg dexamethasone test, a negative corticotropin-releasing factor test, and a normal X-ray of the sella turcica. Despite these findings, the diagnosis of pituitary was confirmed Cushing's syndrome by computerized tomography and a transphenoidal operation.
Key wordsCorticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) Cushing's disease ACTH
corticotropin releasing factor
luteinizing hormone releasing hormone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fehm HL, Voigt KH, Lang RE, Beinert KE, Kummer GW, Pfeifer EF (1977) Paradoxial ACTH response to glucocorticoids in Cushing's disease. N Engl J Med 297:904–907Google Scholar
- 2.Grossman A, Nieuwenhuysen Kruseman AG, Perry L, Tomlin S, Schally AV, Coy DH, Rees LH, Comaru-Schally AM, Besser GM (1982) New hypothalamic hormone, corticotropin-releasing factor specifically stimulates the release of adrenocorticotropin hormone and cortisol in man. Lancet 1:921–922Google Scholar
- 3.Krieger DT, Luria M (1977) Plasma ACTH and Cortisol Responses to TRF, Vasopressin or Hypoglycemia in Cushing's Disease and Nelson Syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 44:361–368Google Scholar
- 4.Lüdecke DK, Müchler HC, Caselitz J, Saeger W (1981) ACTH and cortisol patterns after selective adenomectomy in Cushing's disease. Acta Endocrinol (Kbh) 240:61–62Google Scholar
- 5.Müller OA, Fink R, Bauer X, Ehbauer M, Madler M, Scriba PC (1978) ACTH im Plasma: Extraktion und Bestimmung. GIT Labormed 2:117–124Google Scholar
- 6.Müller OA, Dörr HG, Hagen B, Stalla GK, v. Werder K (1982) Corticotropin releasing factor (CRF)-stimulation test in normal controls and patients with disturbances of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis. Klin Wochenschr 60:1485–1491Google Scholar
- 7.Müller OA, Stalla GK, v. Werder K (1983) Corticotropin Releasing Factor: A new tool for the differential diagnosis of Cushing's Syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 57:227–229Google Scholar
- 8.Oldfield EH, Chrousos GP, Schulte HM, Schaaf M, McKeever PE, Krudy AG, Cutler GB Jr, Loriaux DL, Doppman JL (1985) Preoperative lateralization of ACTH secreting pituitary microadenomas by bilateral and simultaneous inferior petrosal venouses sinus sampling. N Engl J Med 312:100–103Google Scholar
- 9.Orth DN, Jackson RV, DeCherney GS, DeBold CR, Alexander AN, Island DP, Rivier J, Rivier C, Spiess J, Vale W (1983) Effect of synthetic ovine corticotropin-releasing factor. Dose response of plasma adrenocorticotropin and cortisol. J Clin Invest 71:587–595Google Scholar