Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in paediatric intensive care patients
- 31 Downloads
To identify the success of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the paediatric ICU patient we undertook a retrospective study in an 11-bed medical and a 14-bed surgical paediatric ICU over a 32-month period. Thirtyfour patients suffered an arrest in the ICU. Only 4 patients could be resuscitated successfully; 1 died after 24 h. Of the 3 long-term survivors 1 suffered from severe neurologic sequelae. All patients were in CCS classes III or IV. All but 3 patients had PSI scores >8. The decision to resuscitate or to withhold therapy in individual patients who are deteriorating in the course of a critical, preceding illness should not be based on the risk index of these scoring systems. Both medical and ethical considerations should be guidelines in the process of decision-making.
Key wordsCardiopulmonary resuscitation Intensive care Paediatrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Orlowsky JP (1984) The effectiveness of paediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Am J Dis Child 138:1097–1098Google Scholar
- 2.Torphy DE, Minter MG, Thompson BM (1984) Cardiorespiratory arrest and resuscitation of children. Am J Dis Child 138: 1099–1102Google Scholar
- 3.Ludwig S, Kettrick RG, Parker M (1984) Paediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation. A review of 130 cases. Clin Pediatr 23:71–75Google Scholar
- 4.Seggern K von, Egar M, Fuhrman BP (1986) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in a paediatric ICU. Crit Care Med 14:275–277Google Scholar
- 5.Cullen DJ, Civetta JM, Briggs BA (1974) Therapeutic interventions scoring systems: a method for quantitative comparisons of patient care. Crit Care Med 2:57–64Google Scholar
- 6.Yeh TS, Pollack MM, Ruttimann UE, Holbrook PR, Fields AI (1984) Validation of physiologic stability index for use in critically ill infants and children. Pediatr Res 18:445–451Google Scholar
- 7.Ehrlich R, Emmett SM, Rodriguez-Torres R (1974) Paediatric cardiac resuscitation team. J Pediatr 84:152–155Google Scholar
- 8.Nichols DG, Kettrick RG, Swedlow DB, Lee S, Passman R, Ludwig S (1986) Factors influencing outcome of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in children. Pediatr Emerg Care 2:1–5Google Scholar
- 9.Gillis J, Dickson D, Rieder M, Steward D, Edmonds J (1986) Results in inpatient paediatric resuscitation. Crit Care Med 14:469–471Google Scholar
- 10.Ruttimann UE, Albert A, Pollack MM, Glass NL (1986) Dynamic assessment of severity of illness in paediatric intensive care. Crit Care Med 14:215–221Google Scholar
- 11.Smedira NG, Bradley HE, Grais LS, Cohen NH, Lo B, Cooke M, Schecter WP, Fink C, Epstein-Jaffe E, May C, Luce JM (1990) Withholding and withdrawal or life support from the critically ill. N Engl J Med 322:309–315Google Scholar