Evaluation of a serological test for diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in children
- 21 Downloads
A serological test for the diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection (Cobas Core Roche, IgG, 2nd Generation; Roche, France) was compared with the examination of biopsy samples (culture and histology) obtained after endoscopy in 115 children to assess its value. In 94 children (42 positive and 52 negative), results were concordant. In 10 children a positive serological test was associated with an absence ofHelicobacter pylori, while in 11 others a negative serological test was associated with a positive culture. Sensitivity of the test was 79.2% and specificity 83.9%. A relationship between IgG titers and age (r=0.31, p<0.05) was found. Serological tests could be useful for the diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection, but a negative test result does not rule out infection, particularly in children under 10 years of age.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andersen LP, Newer AV, Christianesen KM, Tvede H, Hansen J, Henriksen FW, Krasilnikoff PA: The humoral immune response toHelicobacter pylori infection in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica, and Immunologica Scandinavica 1994, 102: 457–464.Google Scholar
- 3.Benhamou PH, Kalach N, Raymond J, Abdallah C, Dupont C: Infections gastriques àHelicobacter pylori chez l'enfant. Presse Médicale 1994, 23: 1703–1707.Google Scholar
- 4.Czinn SJ, Carr HS, Speck WT: Diagnosis of gastritis caused byHelicobacter pylori in children by means of an ELISA. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1991, 13: 700–703.Google Scholar
- 5.Mégraud F: Méthodes diagnostiques directes et indirectes deHelicobacter pylori. Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 1994, 18: 217–226.Google Scholar
- 9.Blecker U, Lanciers S, Hauser B, Vandenplas Y: Diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in adults and children by using the MalakitHelicobacter pylori, a commercially available enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1993, 16: 1770–1773.Google Scholar