Infinite elementary divisors of polynomial matrices and impulsive solutions of linear homogeneous matrix differential equations
Impulsive solutions of linear homogeneous matrix differential equations are re-examined in the light of the theory of Jordan chains that correspond to infinite elementary divisors of the associated polynomial matrix. Infinite elementary divisors of general polynomial matrices are defined and their relation to the pole-zero structure of polynomial matrices at infinity is examined. It is shown that impulsive solutions are due to Jordan chains of a “dual” polynomial matrix that correspond to infinite elementary divisors that are associated with the orders of “zeros at infinity” of the original matrix.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. C. Verghese, B. C. Levy, and T. Kailath, A Generalized State-Space for Singular Systems,IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, Vol. 26, No. 4, p. 811, 1981.Google Scholar
- G. C. Verghese, Infinite-Frequency Behavior in Generalized Dynamical Systems, Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, Dec. 1978.Google Scholar
- G. C. Verghese and T. Kailath, Impulsive Behaviour in Dynamical Systems: Structure and Significance,Proc. Internat. Symp. on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, p. 162, July 1979.Google Scholar
- F. R. Gantmacher,The Theory of Matrices, Chelsea, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- A. I. G. Vardulakis and N. Karcanias, Relations Between Strict Equivalence Invariants and Structure at Infinity of Matrix Pencils,IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, Vol. 28, No. 4, p. 514, 1983.Google Scholar
- F. M. Callier and C. A. Desoer,Multivariable Feedback Systems, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- A. C. Pugh, The McMillan Degree of a Polynomial System Matrix,Internat. J. Control, Vol. 24, No. 1, p. 129, 1976.Google Scholar
- I. Gohberg, P. Langaster, and I. Rodman,Matrix Polynomials, Academic Press, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- O. Zariski and P. Samuel,Commutative Algebra, Vol. II, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1960.Google Scholar
- A. I. G. Vardulakis, D. J. N. Limebeer, and N. Karcanias, Structure and Smith-McMillan Form of a Rational Matrix at Infinity,Internat. J. Control, Vol. 35, No. 4, p. 701, 1982.Google Scholar
- G. C. Hayton, A. C. Pugh, and P. Fretwell, The Infinite Elementary Divisors of a Matrix Polynomial and Applications,Internat. J. Control, Vol. 47, No. 1, p. 53, 1988.Google Scholar
- W. A. Coppel and D. J. Cullen, Strong System Equivalence,J. Austral. Math. Soc. Ser. B, Vol. 27, p. 223, 1985.Google Scholar