A necessary and sufficient condition is given for an inequality with coefficients 0 or 1 to define a facet of the knapsack polytope, i.e., of the convex hull of 0–1 points satisfying a given linear inequality. A sufficient condition is also established for a larger class of inequalities (with coefficients not restricted to 0 and 1) to define a facet for the same polytope, and a procedure is given for generating all facets in the above two classes. The procedure can be viewed as a way of generating cutting planes for 0–1 programs.
KeywordsHull Mathematical Method Convex Hull Large Class Linear Inequality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Balas, “Facets of the knapsack polytope”, Management Science Research Rept. No. 323, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa. (September 1973).Google Scholar
- E. Balas, “Facets of the knapsack polytope”,Notices of the American Mathematical Society 21 (1974) A-11.Google Scholar
- E. Balas and R. Jeroslow, “On the structure of the unit hypercube”, Management Science Research Rept. No. 198, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa. (August–December 1969). Published as .Google Scholar
- E. Balas and R. Jeroslow, “The hypercube and canonical cuts”,Notices of the American Mathematical Society 17 (1970) 450.Google Scholar
- E. Balas and R. Jeroslow, “Canonical cuts on the unit hypercube”,SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics 23 (1972) 61–69.Google Scholar
- F. Glover, “Unit coefficient inequalities for zero–one programming”, Management Science Report Series No. 73-7, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo. (July 1973).Google Scholar
- F. Granot and P.L. Hammer, “On the use of Boolean functions in 0–1 programming”, Operations Research Mimeograph No. 70, Technion, Haifa (August 1970).Google Scholar
- P.L. Hammer, E.L. Johnson and U.N. Peled, “Facets of regular 0–1 polytopes”, CORR 73-19, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont. (October 1973).Google Scholar
- G.L. Nemhauser and L.E. Trotter, Jr., “Properties of vertex packing and independence system polyhedra”,Mathematical Programming 6 (1974) 48–61.Google Scholar
- M. Padberg, “On the facial structure of set packing polyhedra”,Mathematical Programming 5 (1973) 199–215.Google Scholar
- M. Padberg, “A note on zero–one programming”,Operations Research, to appear.Google Scholar
- L.A. Wolsey, “Faces of linear inequalities in 0–1 variables”, CORE Discussion Paper No. 7338, Université de Louvain, Louvain (November 1973).Google Scholar