A new alloantigen expressed selectively on B cells: the Lyb-2 system
The new alloantigenic system of the mouse -Lyb-2-is described, and the strain distribution of the phenotype Lyb-2.1 recorded. So far no antiserum to the alternative Lyb-2.2 or other phenotypes is available. On present evidence, the cell-surface component represented by Lyb-2.1 antigen is expressed only on cells of the B-lymphocyte lineage. Cytotoxicity titers of Lyb-2.1 antisera may exceed 1:640 against spleen cells, with maximal lysis usually around 1:80. In two Lyb-2.1+ mouse sublines — CBA/J and C3Hf/Bi — the proportion of spleen cells lysed is lower than in other Lyb-2.1+ strains. The position of theLyb-2 locus has not been found, but close linkage with several loci has been excluded.
KeywordsSpleen Cell Strain Distribution Close Linkage Present Evidence Maximal Lysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyle, W.: An extension of the51Cr-release assay for the estimation of mouse cytotoxins.Transplantation 6:761–764, 1968Google Scholar
- Boyse, E.A., Hubbard, L., Stocken, E., and Lamm, M.E.: Improved complementation in the cytotoxic test.Transplantation 10:446–449, 1970Google Scholar
- Boyse, E.A., Miyazawa, M., Aoki, T., and Old, L.J.: Ly-A and Ly-B: two systems of lymphocyte isoantigens in the mouse.Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. (Biol.) 170:175–193, 1968Google Scholar
- Boyse, E.A. and Old, L.J.: The immunogenetics of differentiation in the mouse. The Harvey Lectures, 1975Google Scholar
- Jerne, N.K. and Nordin, A.A.: Plaque formation in agar by single antibody-producing cells.Science 140:405, 1973Google Scholar
- Julius, M.H., Simpson, E., and Herzenberg, L.A.: A rapid method for the isolation of functional thymus-derived murine lymphocytes.Eur. J. Immunol. 3:645–649, 1973Google Scholar
- Klein, J.: List of congenic lines of mice. I. Lines with differences at alloantigen loci.Transplantation 15:137–153, 1973Google Scholar
- McKenzie, I. F. C. and Snell, G.D.: Ly-4.2, a cell membrane alloantigen of murine B lymphocytes. I. Population studies.J. Immunol. 114:848–855, 1975Google Scholar
- Nichols, E. and Ruddle, F. H.: A review of enzyme polymorphism, linkage and electrophoretic conditions for mouse and somatic cell hybrids in starch gels.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 21:1066–1081, 1973Google Scholar
- Shiku, H. and Kisielow, P.: Expression of T cell differentiation antigens on effector cells in cell-mediated cytotoxicity in vitro: Evidence for functional heterogeneity related to the surface phenotypes of T cells.J. Exp. Med. 141:227–241, 1975Google Scholar
- Shortman, K., Williams, N., and Adams, P.: The separation of different cell classes from lymphoid organs.J. Immunol. Meth. 1:273–287, 1972Google Scholar
- Snell, G.D. and Cherry, M.: Ly-4, a new locus determining a lymphocyte cell-surface alloantigen in mice.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA.70:1108–1111, 1973Google Scholar