The prominent ear was first noted in the medical literature to be a social and psychological disturbance in 1881, when Ely suggested the first technique for the correction of this condition. Since Ely many surgeons have tried to find the best solution for this deformity; however, because of the specific cartilagenous architecture of the auricle, no one has yet designed an acceptable and secure technique.
The successful reconstructured auricle should be the result of tackling all components of the deformity, namely, the absence of the antihelix and the aloofing of the concha from the mastoid. Mustarde's technique and the various anterior scoring methods do not deal with the conchal component of the protruded ear, nor do they give a fully satisfactory formation of the antihelix when one of these methods is used alone.
This article presents the author's preferred technique for reconstructing the auricle, simultaneously using Mustarde's mattress sutures, Cochrane's anterior scoring of the antihelix, and the approximating of the concha to the mastoid.
Key wordsOtoplasty Prominent ear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Converse JM, Nigro A, Wilson FA, Johnson N: A technique for surgical correction of the lop ears. Plast Reconstr Surg15:11, 1955Google Scholar
- 6.Ely ET: An operation for prominence of the auricles. Arch Otol10:97, 1881Google Scholar
- 8.Gonzalez-Ulloa M, Stevens E: Prominent ears: Prevention of psychological alternations. Medico (Mexico)2:77, 1960Google Scholar
- 9.Kaye BL: A simplified auriculoplasty. In FW Masters, JR Lewis, editors, Symposium on Aesthetic Surgery of the Nose, Ears and Chin. St Louis: CV Mosby, 1973Google Scholar
- 10.Luckett WH: A new operation for prominent ears based on the anatomy of the deformity. Surg Gynecol Obstet10:635, 1910Google Scholar
- 12.Minderjahn A, Hutt WR, Hildman H: Mustarde's otoplasty: Evaluation of correlation between clinical and statistical findings. J Maxillofac Surg8:241, 1981Google Scholar
- 13.Muhlbauer WD: A simple and physiologic method to correct prominent ears. Chir Plast1:126, 1971Google Scholar
- 19.Rogers BO: Commentary. In F McDowell, The Sourcebook of Plastic Surgery. Baltimore: William & Wilkins, 1977, p 348Google Scholar
- 20.Rogers BO: Commentary. In F McDowell, The Sourcebook of Plastic Surgery. Baltimore: William & Wilkins, 1977, p 353Google Scholar
- 35.Wood-Smith D: Otoplasty. In TD Rees, D Wood-Smith, editors, Cosmetic Facial Surgery. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1973Google Scholar