Treatment of keloid scars by combined cryosurgery and intralesional corticosteroids
- 92 Downloads
Fifty-eight patients with keloid scars were subjected to combined cryosurgery and intralesional corticosteroid therapy. Complete regression of the scars occurred in 41 patients. In 8 patients the scars improved, and there was no improvement in 9 patients. Keloid scars of the earlobes were the most responsive to treatment.
The possibility of differing biological activity of cryosurgery and corticosteroids complementing each other is postulated, and a combination of their respective actions may offer promise in treatment.
Key wordsCryosurgery Keloid scar Corticosteroids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cohen IK, Keiser HR, Sjoerdsman A: Collagen synthesis in human keloid and hypertrophic scar. Surg Forum22:488, 1971Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen IK, Diegelman RF, Bryant CP: Alpha-globulin collagenase inhibitors in keloid and hypertrophic scar. Surg Forum27:61, 1976Google Scholar
- 7.Gill W, Frazer J, Carter DC: Repeated freeze-thaw cycles in cryosurgery. Nature (London)219:410, 1968Google Scholar
- 9.Hirshowitz B, Lerner D, Moscona R: Combined cryosurgery and intralesional corticosteroid therapy for the treatment of keloids. Transactions of the Seventh International Congress of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Rio De Janeiro. São Paulo: Cartgraf, 1979, pp 165–168Google Scholar
- 10.Holden HB, Saunders S: Cryosurgery. Its scientific basis and clinical application. Practioner210:543, 1973Google Scholar
- 14.Lubritz RR: Recent Advances in Cryosurgery of the skin and tumours of the Head and Neck. Setrag A. Zacarian, editor, Springfield IL: CC Thomas, 1977, p 69Google Scholar
- 21.Smith AU: Biological Effects of Freezing and Supercooling. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1961Google Scholar
- 22.Wittaker DK: Cryosurgery of the oral mucosa. A study of the mechanisms of tissue damage. Dent Pract22:445, 1972Google Scholar
- 23.Zacarian SA: Cryosurgery of Tumors of the Skin and Oral Cavity. Springfield IL: CC Thomas, 1973, pp 19, 28, 46, 103.Google Scholar