Staphylococcus aureus Cowan I-induced human immunoglobulin responses: Preferential IgM rheumatoid factor production and VH3 mRNA expression by protein A-binding B cells
- 49 Downloads
Protein A (PA), a cell wall component of SAC, activates human B cells by cross-linking the Fabs of membrane immunoglobulins. Recent data indicate that PA binds only to Fabs that use VH3 heavy chains, and thus it has been designated as a B-cell superantigen. We previously reported thatStaphylococcus aureus Cowan I (SAC) -induced IgM rheumatoid factor (RF) by human PBMC was mediated by PA. Therefore, we sought to determine if SAC-induced IgMRF production was confined to PA-binding B cells and if these B cells were enriched for the expression of VH3 heavy chains. We observed that the elicitation of IgMRF in response to SAC was limited to a subset of B cells that bind PA and that this subset was enriched for VH3 mRNA expression. Taken together, these results suggest that IgMRFs produced in response to SAC are enriched for usage of VH3 heavy chains. Thus, this SAC-induced autoantibody response appears to represent a new B-cell superantigenic property of PA.
Key wordsB-cell superantigen immunoglobulin autoantibody rheumatoid arthritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Goding JW: Use of staphylococcal protein A as an immunological reagent. J Immun Methods 20:241–253, 1978Google Scholar
- 8.Romagnani S, Guidizi MG, Biagiotti R, Almerigogna F, Maggi E, Del Prete G, Ricci M: Surface immunoglobulins are involved in the interaction of protein A with human B cells and in the triggering of B cell proliferation induced by protein A-containingStaphylococcus aureus. J Immunol 127:1307–1313, 1981PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Levinson AI, Dalal NF, Haidar M, Tar L, Orlow M: Prominent IgM rheumatoid factor production by human cord blood lymphocytes stimulated in vitro withStaphylococcus aureus Cowan I. J Immunol 193:2237–2241, 1987Google Scholar
- 24.Thompson KM, Randen I, Natvig JB, Mageed RA, Jefferis R, Carson DA, Tighe H, Forre O: Human monoclonal rheumatoid factors derived from the polyclonal repertoire of rheumatoid synovial tissue: incidence of cross-reactive idotypes and expression of VH and Vk subgroups. Eur J Immunol 20:863–868, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Silverman GJ: B-cell superantigens and the spectrum of unconventional antigens. The Immunologist 2:51–57, 1994Google Scholar