Nocturnal penile tumescence and serum testosterone levels
- 52 Downloads
Ten patients with chronic epilepsy were selected; five had high and five had low total serum testosterone levels. Each patient slept for two nights in the sleep laboratory. EEG monitoring and measurements of nocturnal penile tumescence were carried out during sleep. A clear relationship between both total and free serum testosterone levels were found with nocturnal penile tumescence. FSH, LH, SHBG, and prolactin showed no relationship. The five patients with low serum testosterone levels all showed reduced sexual activity.
Key wordssex hormones nocturnal penile tumescence LH FSH epilepsy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daniels, O., Fenwick, P., Wheeler, M., Nanjee, N., and Toone, B. (1984). Sexual hormone replacement therapy in male epileptics. In Porter, R. J., and Ward, A. A. (eds.),Advances in Epileptology (Vol. 15), Raven Press, New York, pp. 291–296.Google Scholar
- Fenwick, P.,et al. (1984). Sexual behaviour in a centre for epilepsyActa Scand. Neurol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Fisher, C.,et al. (1979). Evaluation of nocturnal penile tumescence in the differential diagnosis of sexual impotence.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 36: 431–437.Google Scholar
- Jovanovic, U. J. (1972). Sexuelle Reaktionen und Schlafperiodik bei Menschen: Ergebnisse experimenteller Untersuchungen.Beitrage für Sexualforschung 51: 1–292.Google Scholar
- Ohlmeyer, P., Brilmayer, H., and Hüllstrung, H. (1944). Periodische Vorgange im Schlaf.Pfugers Archiv. 248: 559–560.Google Scholar
- Schiavi, R. C., and Fisher, C. (1982). Assessment of diabetic impotence: Measurement of nocturnal erections. In Bancroft, J. (ed.),Clinics in Endocrinology and Metabolism W. B. Saunders, London, pp. 769–784.Google Scholar