The results of a survey of sexual behavior conducted among 113 female students of Caldas University, Manizales, Colombia, are reported. Among other findings, cumulative incidence of masturbation was 68.1% and that of premarital coitus 33.6%. On the other hand, 56.4% of the nonvirgins professed to have had oralgenital contacts and 28.2% of them said that they had experienced anal coitus. While 96.5% of the students admitted contact with pornographic materials and 40.4% had been sexually aroused by these materials, 18% of those subjects who had been exposed to “romantic” (nonsexually explicit) materials professed to have been sexually aroused. As to contraceptive practices, many students never used any contraceptive method, and 11.4% of the coitally experienced respondents admitted to having had an induced abortion. This study also shows a negative correlation between religiosity and the subjects' sexual behavior. Highly significant sex differences in sexual behavior among Colombian university students are also revealed when this study's findings are compared with data from male medical students.
Key wordspremarital sex sexual behavior cross-cultural intercourse abortion female sexuality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alzate, H. (1977). Sexual behavior of Colombian male medical students.Br. J. Sex. Med. 5(24): 19.Google Scholar
- Bauman, K. E. (1973). Volunteer bias in a study of sexual knowledge, attitudes and behavior.J. Marriage Family 35: 27–31.Google Scholar
- Beasley, R. (1975). Current status of sex research.J. Sex Res. 11: 335–347.Google Scholar
- Gutiérrez de Pineda, V. (1975)Familia y Cultura en Colombia Instituto Colombiano de Cultura, Bogotá.Google Scholar
- Hunt, M. (1974).Sexual Behavior in the 1970s Playboy Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Kaats, G. A., and Davis, K. E. (1971). Effects of volunteer biases in studies of sexual behavior and attitudes.J. Sex Res. 7: 26–34.Google Scholar
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. H. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- López Pardo, A. (1975). Educación sexual de la adolescente colombiana.Rev. Colomb. Psiquiatría 4: 406–446.Google Scholar
- Packard, V. (1968).The Sexual Wilderness David McKay, New York.Google Scholar
- Robinson, I. E., King, K., and Balswick, J. O. (1972). The premarital sexual revolution among college females.Family Coord. 21: 189–194.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, G., and Sigusch, V. (1973). Women's sexual arousal. In Zubin, J., and Money, J. (eds.),Contemporary Sexual Behavior: Critical Issues in the 1970s Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Soto Cáceres, V. A. (1975). Algunos aspectos de la conducta, actitud e información sexual del estudiante.Trib. Méd. Perú 38(5): A5-A10.Google Scholar